Don’t just settle for any old breakfast! Whip up this easy Banana Pancake Smoothie full of protein & that must have coffee to start your day. Of course, it won’t hurt to have another cup of coffee along with it. Just sayin’!
Life is too short not to drink a good cup of coffee or a glass of wine. Right? And water, well we all know we should be drinking a lot more of it than we are. Did you know you are suppose to drink somewhere between 2/3 to equal your weight in ounces of water?! Thank goodness the water in coffee counts towards that total ’cause that’s a lot of water! And I love coffee!
I was asked to do a taste comparison on 2 coffees of my own choice which I received from JavaFly. JavaFly touts themselves as a leader in the wholesale coffee market and offers low prices, fast shipping and a huge selection encompassing everything from espresso to flavored coffees. They carry many Keurig-compatible coffee K-cups as well as Nespresso coffee capsules. The coffee being taste tested today was produced by Brulerie Faro Coffee, a Canadian coffee company specializing in micro-batch, single origin and direct trade coffees.
I wanted to do a fair comparison so I chose the Smooth Colombian Excelso, a richer coffee, along with a flavored coffee, the French Vanilla. I was also lucky enough to obtain some samples of Moka Java from my daughter. So I’ll actually be taste testing three varieties.
For the test I used my Keurig 2.0 and had no trouble with K-cup compatibility. I brewed both an 8-oz. and a 10-oz. version in order to get a better grasp of the flavors.
- Smooth Colombian Excelso: I brewed this in a 10-oz serving and found the coffee tasty but a little too smooth for my preference. There was not enough body I guess you would say. It did have a slight flavor of, perhaps, caramel but it was not overly noticeable. I tried it again in an 8-oz. serving and it was still a little too weak for both my husband’s and my taste.
- French Vanilla: This one really was my favorite, brewed in either an 8-oz or 10-oz serving, and surprisingly enough my husband’s favorite as well and he hates flavored coffees. This one had a wonderfully smooth but rich coffee taste with just a slight hint of vanilla. It was enough to please the flavored coffee hater and the flavored coffee lover – me!
- Moka Java – This was best brewed in an 8-oz serving and was very smooth and mellow. There was slightly more body to this blend than the Smooth Colombian Excleso, with a slight, but nice, edge on the finish, and both my husband and I enjoyed it. But I would have to say that we would have preferred a bolder blend. I would recommend this one for people that tend to like a mellower cup of coffee.
Know what else you can do with your coffee? Add it to your breakfast smoothie, like our Jump Start Java Smoothie or this great tasting Banana Pancake Smoothie, for a delicious morning wake-me-up!
Banana Pancake Smoothie
- 1 6-oz. vanilla flavored Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons rolled oats (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup cold strong coffee (I brew up a 4-oz cup)
- 1 frozen banana
- Dash of cinnamon
Blend all together in blender until smooth. If you would like it a little thicker you can add a handful of ice.
Adapted from a recipe found on Prevention.
Disclosure: I received complimentary samples of Brulerie Faro coffee from JavaFly to review. As always, all opinions are my own.