This Fruit Cocktail is an adults-only dessert that is sure to please. Delicious fresh fruit of the season is cut up and seasoned with a little rum, a touch of sugar sugar and lemon zest for an almost healthy and surprisingly tasty fruit cocktail dessert.
Fruit Cocktail with Rum
This fruit cocktail dessert is so pretty in red & perfect for summertime. You can make it in 20 minutes or less and serve it as a cocktail or a dessert!
Now, I bet you’re wondering why I’m calling a dish of fruit a cocktail. Well, the answer is really quite simple & delicious – it’s got rum in it! Yep, this is an adults only fruit cocktail that is sure to please. The perfect after-dinner, kind-of-good-for-you dessert.
It’s perfect for this time of year too because the fresh fruit is so plentiful at farmer’s markets and grocery stores. Any seasonal fruit you find on the shelves can be used in this “dessert”. It’s really just up to your own imagination what you toss together and, believe me, it will be the best ever fruit cocktail you ever had!
Don’t just settle for that canned stuff when you can make your own so easily. I know, you are saying, there are so many other things I can make with my fresh fruit, like strawberry shortcake, yummy sangria or top my favorite best-ever waffles but, just for a change of pace, try this instead. You won’t believe how many compliments you will get and how much people appreciate a little lighter dessert after a big dinner, especially during the hot days of summer.
To make a great eye-catching presentation, serve it in martini glasses or, for a buffet, place in a hollowed out half of a fresh pineapple & let people serve themselves. Whatever way you decide to have it, just dig in and enjoy!
More Tipsy Fruity Desserts for Summer
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive a free e-book.
FRUIT COCKTAIL DESSERT
- 3/4 cup diced fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup diced fresh pineapple
- 1 orange, peeled & cut in segments then halved
- 1 nectarine, diced
- 1/2 cup green grapes, halved
- 2-3 Tablespoons white rum, Grand Marnier or Cointreau
- 1-2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lime or lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- Red food coloring
- Lime or lemon slice or peel (optional)
- 4 whole strawberries (optional)
- Mix rum & sugar in large bowl until sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Add remaining ingredients and toss to coat. Place in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- On a small plate, large enough to dip your glass onto, spread sugar for rim evenly over surface.
- Add 1-2 drops red food coloring, blending well. You can also use store-bought colored sugar.
- Just prior to serving, take a lemon or lime wedge, and run it around the rim of martini glass. While rim is wet, place upside down into colored sugar to coat.
- Carefully spoon in fruit cocktail mixture so as not to ruin your colored sugar rim. Garnish with a toothpick containing a slice of lime/lemon and a strawberry or top with a curled slice of lemon, lime or orange peel. You can also just add the garnishes to the rim of the glass.