This stir fry comes packed with protein and plenty of fiber important to a healthy diet. It’s also quick and easy to put together for a casual and fun Sunday supper. For a gluten-free option, opt for corn tortillas.
Steak Fajita Stir-Fry with Black Bean Salad
- 4 Tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 2-1/2 Tablespoons Fajita or Taco Seasoning
- 1-1/2 lbs. beef tenderloin, cut into thin strips
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 bell peppers (1 red & 1 yellow), thinly sliced
- 2 jalapenos, chopped fine
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large tomato, diced
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Whole wheat flour or corn tortillas (optional)
Mix 2 tablespoons lime juice and 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning together to make marinade. Place meat in seasoning and set aside.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper slices and jalapeno and stir fry for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add beef along with marinade to pan, season with black pepper and continue to cook for another 4-5 minutes.
To make the black bean salad, combine black beans with tomato, cheese, ¼ cup cilantro and remaining lime juice & fajita seasoning. Toss to mix.
To serve, place beef mixture in bowl and garnish with additional cilantro. Serve with black bean salad as a topping and warm tortillas.
Wine Pairing: If you want to skip the traditional margarita or DOS XX for wine try one of the “big reds” such as 2011 Macchia Old Vine Zinfandel or a California Petite Sirah. If you prefer white, try opting for a fresh aromatic Viognier, I like the 2010 Casillero del Diablo, or an earthy Spanish Albarino such as the 2011 Conde Villar Alvarinho.