Nothing is better than grilling shrimp on the barbie! And nothing is better than pairing delicious shrimp with spicy chorizo.
This is such an easy dish to make but comes off looking like you spent hours prepping in the kitchen. It's as simple as skewering shrimp around a slice of chorizo and serving it up over a bed of red beans & rice or a lentil-vegetable medley.
You can also make this more of a meatless meal by substituting vegetables such as onions and bell peppers or even pineapple for the chorizo. Now, I don't know why you would want to do that as the chorizo gives such a nice spicy kick to the shrimp and when it is all crisp from the grill it makes it even better. But whatever way you have it, this is one easy but delicious recipe!
SPICY SHRIMP & CHORIZO SKEWERS
- 18 shrimp peeled & deveined (leaves tails on)
- 18 ¼" slices chorizo
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon dry sherry
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Prepare shrimp. Mix remaining ingredients, except for chorizo & parsley, in a large ziploc bag. Add shrimp, seal and place in refrigerator to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- At this time, if using wooden skewers, place in water and let soak for 30 minutes to prevent burning once placed on grill.
- When ready to assemble, cut chorizo into ¼" thick rounds. Thread one shrimp then one piece chorizo alternately onto skewers. I used very long metal skewers and wound up using 5 skewers.
- Once assembled, place on grill for approximately 2-3 minutes per side or until shrimp are pink and chorizo is slightly charred.
- Serve over rice, either long grain & wild rice or a nice rice pilaf, and garnish with chopped parsley.
Wine Pairing: When eating Spanish chorizo the best wines to accompany this spicy sausage are the Spanish riojas and tempranillos, both spicy, juicy and smoky in their own right.