Just in time for St. Patrick’s Day, or really any day, this easy Instant Pot Corned Beef is moist, flavorful and sure to become a family dinner favorite. Corned beef is cooked in beef stock and dark beer then joined by potatoes, carrots and onions to make a tasty one pot meal. If the taste doesn’t get you salivating, the aromas will!
Instant Pot Corned Beef with Beer
OK, I’m not Irish. I can’t even claim the least little bit, but every year on St. Patrick’s Day, I pretend I have a wee bit of Irish in me. I love all the traditions and the wearing of the green, so it is fun to take part anyway and just pretend for a day. I love corned beef, just like any good Irish girl would, and I just learned how to make Irish Soda bread too – so I must have some Irish hidden in me somewhere.
I’ve made this deliciousness in the crockpot and is a great option when you’re away from the house all day. I’ve included the instructions in the notes section of the recipe card. However, I wanted to try making it with my new favorite appliance, the Instant Pot. And, believe me when I tell you, it came out awesome!
Easy steps to make Instant Pot Corned Beef
- Place corned beef in Instant Pot.
- Sprinkle with spice packet, drop in thyme sprigs and add minced garlic.
- Pour in beef broth.
- Pour in beer.
- Cover, seal and cook on high for 80-85 minutes.
- Release pressure naturally for 15 minutes then do quick release.
- Take out corned beef and set aside. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add vegetable to stock in Instant Pot.
- Cover, seal and cook on high pressure for 4 minutes. Cover valve with paper towel to help avoid spitting liquids, then do a quick release of pressure.
I’d make this corned beef with beer again any time of year! And the leftovers are great for sandwiches or a delish corned beef hash.
Other ideas for St. Patrick’s Day celebration.
Great side dish
Irish Soda Bread from 2CM – An easy no yeast, no knead Irish Soda Bread with only 5 ingredients.
Crispy Roasted Cabbage Steaks from Dinner then Dessert – cook your cabbage separate with this easy slice and bake crispy cabbage side.
Key Lime Cheesecake Brownies from 2CM – Fudgy & moist brownies swirled with a bit of the green, aka key lime cheesecake filling.
Great dish for next day
Air Fryer Corned Beef Hash from 2CM – A quick and easy way to use up leftover corned beef for a delicious breakfast. Just 13 minutes and breakfast is served.
DON’T MISS A RECIPE!
This easy Instant Pot Corned Beef is moist & flavorful. It's cooked in beef stock and beer and includes potatoes, carrots & onions for a tasty one pot meal.
- 3-4 lb corned beef brisket
- Spice packet
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3-4 sprigs thyme
- 2 cups beef broth
- 12 oz dark beer
- 1 onion cut in chunks
- 4 potatoes cut in eighths
- 4-6 large carrots cut in large chunks
- Garnish: parsley optional
- Place corned beef in bottom of Instant Pot.
- Sprinkle spice packet on top.
- Add minced garlic and sprigs of thyme.
- Pour in beef broth and dark beer.
- Cover and seal. Cook on high pressure for 75 minutes for 2 lbs., 80 minutes for 3 lbs. and 85 minutes for 4 lbs.
- When cycle has completed, let pressure release naturally for 15 minutes then do a quick release.
- Remove corned beef and set aside. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add onion, potatoes and carrots to broth.
- Cover and seal and cook on high pressure for 4 minutes.
- Cover valve with a paper towel and do a quick release.
- Slice corned beef and place on serving plate with potatoes and vegetables around it. Top it with a little of the broth.
To cook in CROCKPOT: Place corned beef in crockpot with spice packet. Add garlic and thyme sprigs then cover with broth and 2 bottles of dark beer. Cook on low for 9-1/2 hours. Halfway through cooking time, place remaining ingredients in crockpot, cover and finish cooking.
This post has been updated with new photos and instructions for cooking in an Instant Pot. The original post was published on May, 17, 2013.