Just in time for St. Patrick’s Day, or really any day, this easy Instant Pot Corned Beef is moist, flavorful and sure to become a family dinner favorite. Corned beef is cooked in beef stock and dark beer then joined by potatoes, carrots and onions to make a tasty one pot meal. If the taste doesn’t get you salivating, the aromas will!
Instant Pot Corned Beef with Beer
OK, I’m not Irish. I can’t even claim the least little bit, but every year on St. Patrick’s Day, I pretend I have a wee bit of Irish in me. I love all the traditions and the wearing of the green, so it is fun to take part anyway and just pretend for a day. I love corned beef, just like any good Irish girl would, and I just learned how to make Irish Soda bread too – so I must have some Irish hidden in me somewhere.
I’ve made this deliciousness in the crockpot and is a great option when you’re away from the house all day. I’ve included the instructions in the notes section of the recipe card. However, I wanted to try making it with my new favorite appliance, the Instant Pot. And, believe me when I tell you, it came out awesome!
Easy steps to make Instant Pot Corned Beef
- Place corned beef in Instant Pot.
- Sprinkle with spice packet, drop in thyme sprigs and add minced garlic.
- Pour in beef broth.
- Pour in beer.
- Cover, seal and cook on high for 80-85 minutes.
- Release pressure naturally for 15 minutes then do quick release.
- Take out corned beef and set aside. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add vegetable to stock in Instant Pot.
- Cover, seal and cook on high pressure for 4 minutes. Cover valve with paper towel to help avoid spitting liquids, then do a quick release of pressure.
I’d make this corned beef with beer again any time of year! And the leftovers are great for sandwiches or a delish corned beef hash.
Other ideas for St. Patrick’s Day celebration.
Great side dish
Irish Soda Bread from 2CM – An easy no yeast, no knead Irish Soda Bread with only 5 ingredients.
Crispy Roasted Cabbage Steaks from Dinner then Dessert – cook your cabbage separate with this easy slice and bake crispy cabbage side.
Key Lime Cheesecake Brownies from 2CM – Fudgy & moist brownies swirled with a bit of the green, aka key lime cheesecake filling.
Great dish for next day
Air Fryer Corned Beef Hash from 2CM – A quick and easy way to use up leftover corned beef for a delicious breakfast. Just 13 minutes and breakfast is served.
DON’T MISS A RECIPE!
Instant Pot Corned Beef with Beer
- 3-4 lb corned beef brisket
- Spice packet
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3-4 sprigs thyme
- 2 cups beef broth
- 12 oz dark beer
- 1 onion cut in chunks
- 4 potatoes cut in eighths
- 4-6 large carrots cut in large chunks
- Garnish: parsley optional
- Place corned beef in bottom of Instant Pot.
- Sprinkle spice packet on top.
- Add minced garlic and sprigs of thyme.
- Pour in beef broth and dark beer.
- Cover and seal. Cook on high pressure for 75 minutes for 2 lbs., 80 minutes for 3 lbs. and 85 minutes for 4 lbs.
- When cycle has completed, let pressure release naturally for 15 minutes then do a quick release.
- Remove corned beef and set aside. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add onion, potatoes and carrots to broth.
- Cover and seal and cook on high pressure for 4 minutes.
- Cover valve with a paper towel and do a quick release.
- Slice corned beef and place on serving plate with potatoes and vegetables around it. Top it with a little of the broth.
This post has been updated with new photos and instructions for cooking in an Instant Pot. The original post was published on May, 17, 2013.