Cold days call for hearty soups and this Instant Pot Sweet Potato Butternut Squash Soup is just what you need. It’s quick and easy in the Instant Pot, and full of healthy goodness. Sweet potatoes and butternut squash are cooked down to a creamy, rich consistency and sweetened naturally with apples and honey. Goat cheese gives an extra flavor boost. It’s a healthy lunch or dinner perfect for any day of the week.
Well, I finally got around to using my new Instant Pot! I’ve been so busy, I put off learning how to operate it. But with the first hint of coolness in the air I just had to make soup my first Instant Pot experience. I love soups in the fall and winter and I’ve made plenty in the past such as my Broccoli Cheese Soup and Baked Potato Soup but I hadn’t tried my hand at a sweet potato and squash soup.
Sweet potatoes & butternut squash offer some amazing health benefits too.
If you’ve never had a sweet potato or squash soup, think pumpkin pie in taste and baked potato soup for the creaminess. It’s a hearty soup and really offers tons of healthy benefits. The sweet potatoes provide Vitamins B6, C & D and iron, which all help to support a healthy immune system, as well as magnesium which helps with relaxation and de-stressing. And we could all use some of that! Butternut squash provides much the same vitamins along with 214% of your Vitamin A for the day in just 1 cup and more potassium than a banana.
The Instant Pot makes this soup a breeze to throw together.
When I first got married I used the old kind of pressure cooker with the spitting, jiggling valve on top, so I knew an Instant Pot had to be just as easy. And, except for having to read exactly how to work the different functions, like sauteing, I picked it up relatively quickly.
With just a few simple steps this soup comes together pretty quickly. The longest step to making this Sweet Potato Butternut Squash Soup is letting the Instant Pot depressurize naturally. The remaining steps are just cutting vegetables and fruit and pouring in prepared vegetable broth, coconut milk and a few spices. Ready to see how easy it is? Just follow these step-by-step instructions and voila – rich, creamy, delicious soup on the table for dinner.
Easy steps to the best Instant Pot Sweet Potato Butternut Squash Soup!
- First gather your ingredients.
- Chop vegetables and fruit.
- Tip: To help peel & cut butternut squash, which is extremely tough, puncture skin all over with a fork. Cut off both ends and bake in microwave, on high, for 3-1/2 minutes. Allow to cool slightly then peel and chop. This additional step does not cook the squash or change the flavor.
- Choose saute mode on IP and saute onion and red pepper for about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and ginger and cook 1 more minute. Turn off IP.
- Add chopped sweet potatoes and butternut squash.
- Add chopped apples.
- Sprinkle in spices.
- Add vegetable broth.
- Pour in a can of unsweetened coconut milk.
- Stir and you’re ready to cook. Set IP to pressure cooker for 8 minutes. When finished, let depressurize naturally for 10 minutes then a quick release. When float valve drops down, remove lid.
- All ingredients are soft, aromatic and ready to be pureed.
- Add goat cheese and Parmesan cheese and stir.
- Puree contents by using an immersion blender, or what we like to call a boat motor (picked up from Emeril Lagasse). You can also use a blender but do in small quantities so that the contents do not explode out of the blender due to heat build-up.
Doesn’t that just look beautiful?! So creamy and smooth and very rich and filling. And totally good for you!
Ladle into bowls and swirl a little extra goat cheese into the top, although that’s totally optional. I like to sprinkle some pepitas on top as well and then garnish with a little parsley.
This soup won’t disappoint and it’s perfect for those that are gluten-free, dairy-free and vegetarians. Enjoy!
Creamy, rich Instant Pot Sweet Potato Butternut Squash Soup is the perfect lunch or dinner for cold winter days. It's quick,easy & full of healthy goodness.
- Olive oil
- 1/4 large sweet onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper seeded & chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ” piece fresh ginger minced
- 2 lbs. sweet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 butternut squash peeled, chopped & deseeded (see note for easy way to cut)
- 2 apples peeled and chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 14 oz unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 3 oz goat cheese you can use cream cheese if you prefer
- 2 Tablespoons honey or enough to adjust sweetness to your liking
- Garnish: pepitas goat cheese, parsley, parmesan
Plug Instant Pot in and turn dial to saute. When temperature is reached, add olive oil, onion and bell pepper and saute until softened, about 3 minutes.
Add in garlic and ginger and continue cooking for an additional minute.
Press cancel and turn off IP.
Add prepared fruit and vegetables, vegetable broth, coconut milk and spices. Stir.
Place cover on IP and lock into place. Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes.
Depressurize with a natural release for 10 minutes then a quick release. When completely depressurized, remove cover.
Add parmesan cheese and goat cheese and stir.
Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. If using a blender, do in small batches so that liquid does not explode from build up of steam.
Serve in bowl and garnish with a swirl of goat cheese or cream cheese, a sprinkle of pepitas and a parsley sprig.
To make cutting the butternut squash easier follow these tips. Prick the outside of the squash all over with a fork. Slice off both ends. Place in microwave for 3-1/2 minutes to soften skin. This will not cook it or change the taste. Let cool slightly then peel, deseed and cube.