These Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are easy to make, gluten-free, and super delicious. They’re crisp on the outside, chewy on the inside and have an extra dose of healthy with the addition of chia seeds. Oh, and a decadent touch of dark chocolate chips, ‘cause, why not!
What else would one bake for National Oatmeal Cookie Day but oatmeal cookies. This variation tries to keep the cookies relatively healthy and, with the addition of chia seeds, probably comes closer than many other versions being touted as a healthy dessert. They are also gluten free so I can bring some to my daughter to enjoy!
If you like crisp on the outside but chewy in the middle oatmeal cookies with a little added decadent touch of dark chocolate chips then this recipe is for you.
More Gluten Free Cookies
Peanut Butter Cinnamon Cookies are a tasty twist to classic Snickerdoodles.
Simple Peanut Butter Cookies for quick and easy cookies to make in one bowl then bake.
Oatmeal Avocado Cookies with chocolate chips, almond flour, and almond butter for loads of flavor.
Find even more gluten free cookie recipes here on 2CM!
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive a free e-book.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 ¼ cups old fashioned oats divided (use gluten free if necessary)
- ¾ teaspoon cornstarch (use gluten free version if needed)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder (use gluten free if necessary)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon Chia Seeds
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup + 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Grind ¾ cup gluten-free oats in coffee grinder or blender. In a small bowl combine the ground oats with cornstarch, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and chia seeds. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with electric mixer, beat butter and sugars until creamy. Add egg and vanilla and continue beating until well incorporated.
- Lower mixer speed and add remaining 1-½ cups whole old fashioned oats. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans.
- Drop dough by heaping tablespoons onto prepared cookie sheets. It will be a little sticky but no worries. Do not flatten just leave in mounds.
- Bake in oven 18 minutes then remove to wire rack to cool for 2-3 minutes. Carefully, using metal spatula, remove from cookie sheets and place on wire racks to cool completely. They will get crisper as they cool.
This post has been updated and was first published on March 18, 2014.