There’s always eggnog in the house for Christmas so why not bake up these deliciously soft & spicy Eggnog Cookies. All the rich flavor of eggnog combined with nutmeg, cinnamon and a touch of rum.
I don’t know about you but when Christmas rolls around there is always eggnog in the house. There might not be eggnog at any other time of the year but I would miss it during the holidays if it wasn’t there.
Usually we have a glass of eggnog, rum added for the adults, on Christmas Eve while we let the kids open one present. It has been a tradition in our house for as long as I can remember. Sometimes we even add vanilla ice cream if we want to be really bad – but oh it’s soooo good!
However, after our toast and indulgence on Christmas Eve, the eggnog just sits there. Is that what happens in your house too? Well, now I’ve found another use for it – bake all that delicious eggnog, nutmeg and rum flavor into a cookie. Now why didn’t I think of that before? I’m also experimenting with eggnog waffles (why not use it in place of buttermilk) and I know there’s a drink somewhere in there too. Keep a look out for future eggnog recipes.
These eggnog cookies are so easy to make, just about 30 minutes from start to finish, and perfect for cookie trays or gift boxes of goodies for family and friends. Enjoy!
Still hungry for cookies? Check out all the cookies from our Christmas Cookie Marathon below.
- 3/4 cup butter, slightly softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/2 cup eggnog
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- 3 Tablespoons eggnog (or enough for desired consistency)
- Garnish: nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare cookies sheets by lining with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Cream butter and sugars together in a large bowl. Slowly add egg yolks and extracts then beat until creamy. Add eggnog and continue mixing until smooth. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt. Add to creamed mixture and mix until well combined.
- Scoop by heaping teaspoonfuls (I like to use my small cookie scoop) onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are just slightly browned. Leave on cookie sheets for 3-5 minutes then remove to wire racks and let cool completely.
- While cookies are cooling, whisk powdered sugar and eggnog together. Place mixture in a small plastic resealable bag and snip corner. Drizzle icing back and forth across cookies then sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Store in airtight cookie tin.
Christmas Cookie Marathon Series
Christmas Cookie Marathon
More Cookie Deliciousness
Cookies + Pudding = Scrumptious
Snowballs and Truffles
Simple and Delicious Cookies
Seasonal Flavors – Peppermint and Eggnog