These Sweet Potato Puffs are the perfect side for a holiday dinner. Whipped sweet potatoes are sweetened with brown sugar and flavored with spices, wrapped around a marshmallow then rolled in gingersnaps and baked. Guests get the perfect surprise when the puffs are cut and all the melted marshmallow oozes out all sweet and sticky. It's like an inside out sweet potato casserole!
We have a love-hate relationship with sweet potatoes in this family. I love sweet potatoes and would eat them all the time and my husband doesn't like them at all. Well, except for my Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Streusel that is. So I set out to make a recipe with leftover sweet potatoes that he would like as much as my casserole. Hence these delicious Sweet Potato Puffs.
Sweet Potato Puffs or Sweet Potato Balls are all over the internet so I can't take credit for thinking of the idea. Although I must admit, I did think of the idea without even knowing they were out there. I put my own spin on them by trying to match the flavor in my husband's favorite casserole and then added a little more spice by rolling them in crushed gingersnaps.
Don't like gingersnaps? Try graham cracker or vanilla wafer crumbs. These puffs are super easy to make too and are a big hit with the little kids and, to be truthful, the big kids too.
Know what the best part is about these puffs? It's the secret ingredient inside - marshmallows! Yep, the marshmallows are what actually make these sweet potatoes puff up. Once the Sweet Potato Puffs are baked, they're like those lava cakes you have for dessert, the marshmallow oozes out all sticky and sweet when you cut into them. Who wouldn't love that?
How to Make Sweet Potato Puffs
There are just a few simple steps in this easy sweet potato puffs recipe.
- To make the mashed sweet potatoes just remove baked sweet potatoes from the skin and place in a bowl. Add brown sugar, one egg, butter, vanilla extract, spices then whip smooth.
- Gather ingredients to assemble sweet potato puffs. Set up the whipped sweet potatoes, a bowl with melted butter, a plate with crushed gingersnaps, and 8 large marshmallows.
- Divide sweet potatoes into 8 portions. Flatten 1 portion in hand and place marshmallow in the center. (photo 3)
- Form ball around marshmallow and cover in melted butter. (photo 4)
- Immediately roll in gingersnap crumbs. (photo 5)
- Place on parchment or silicone mat-lined cookie sheet. (photo 6)
- Ready to bake.
- Bake for 15 minutes. See how nice and puffed up they are! Oops, one decided to open early. Guess I have to eat that one. 🙂
Remove the baked sweet potato balls carefully to serving plates as they tend to be very fragile with the marshmallow all melted. Sprinkle with some powdered sugar so they take on a festive side dish look that is perfect for the season.
Now take a bite! Oh, I just love the way the marshmallow sweetens the sweet potatoes even more. It's like a lava cake for dinner! And oh, so good! Enjoy!
More side dishes you'll love
Roasted sweet potatoes with shallots are flavored with maple syrup and sweetened with cinnamon sugar pecans. What's not to love?
Maple Bacon Wrapped Carrots are the perfect side for any meal and especially for the holidays. The carrots develop a sweet candy coating when baked that pairs perfectly with the smoky bacon.
Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts are crispy nuggets of deliciousness complete with bacon, pecans and a toss with maple syrup & balsamic.
Find even more fall side dishes here on 2CM!
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive a free e-book.
Sweet Potato Puffs
- 2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes
- 3 Tablespoons butter melted
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1-2 Tablespoons favorite milk
- 2 Tablespoons butter melted
- Gingersnaps about 24, ground to fine crumbs
- 8 marshmallows
- Garnish: powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat.
- In a large bowl, beat sweet potatoes, butter, brown sugar, salt, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg and egg.
- Add milk until sweet potatoes will form ball and stick together.
- Place 2 Tablespoons melted butter in wide-mouthed bowl.
- Place gingersnap crumbs on a flat plate.
- Divide sweet potatoes into 8 portions.
- Take one portion and flatten. Place marshmallow in the center and form the sweet potatoes around it.
- Dip sweet potato ball into butter then roll in crumbs.
- Place on cookie sheet.
- Repeat with remaining sweet potatoes.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until they look slightly puffy.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Serve immediately. (Lift carefully with a large spoon so as not to split open.)
This post has been updated and was first published on December 9, 2018.