My Sweet Potato Casserole is my family’s most popular dish at Thanksgiving! Creamy, cinnamony and oh so sweet and topped with plenty of crunchy crumbs. It’s like having dessert with your dinner. Once you taste it, you’ll never want to do without it again!
Easy Sweet Potato Casserole with No Marshmallow
I love sweet potatoes but I have a family that really doesn’t care for this delicious & healthy tuber. But what’s Thanksgiving without a sweet potato casserole? I know, right?!
So a number of years ago, we won’t get into how many that is, I set about to make a recipe that would get everyone in my family excited about eating sweet potatoes. It took a few tries but I finally landed on just the right combination of sweetness and spice, and of course crumbs, that made my family crazy about sweet potatoes.
I have to warn you that this sweet potato casserole is addictive! It tastes like you are enjoying dessert for dinner, a la sweet potato pie. It has creamy mashed sweet potatoes, combined with butter, cinnamon and sugar then it’s loaded with a sugar-pecan crumb mixture that is out of this world.
Easy to Make Ahead and Freeze It
One of the nice things I love about this casserole, is the ability to make it ahead of time and freeze it until the day before Thanksgiving. Let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator then cook as directed. No need to worry about last minute prep with this side dish. And it can be cooked right beside your turkey! Just another easy way to take the stress out of the holidays.
Want a worry & stress-free Thanksgiving? Check out my Thanksgiving Day Planner for a minute by minute schedule and all the recipes you’ll need to make Thanksgiving dinner into a delicious feast! Happy Thanksgiving!
More Delicious Sweet Potato Recipes
Sweet Potato Puffs from 2 Cookin Mamas
Healthy Roasted Sweet Potato Stacks from Grits and Pinecones
Sweet Potato Muffins from 2 Cookin Mamas
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive a free e-book.
- 3 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup sugar (I cut the sugar content down to 1/2 cup with no discernible difference)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup self-rising flour (see below for gluten-free option)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a 2-1/2-quart casserole or 11” x 7” x 2” baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or butter.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, sugar, milk, eggs, salt, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon and 1/2 cup melted butter. Stir well.
- Pour into prepared dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining ½ cup butter, pecans, brown sugar and flour. Crumble over potatoes.
- Bake 50 minutes or until casserole is heated through. Serve hot.
To make this recipe Gluten-free/GMO friendly substitute almond milk for regular milk, coconut sugar or Turbinado for the white sugar and make your own self-rising gluten-free flour.
To make flour combine 1 cup gluten-free flour with 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt. You can make this ahead of time and stored in an airtight container for as long as the gluten-free flour would last on its own.