These roasted sweet potatoes are baked with just a hint of maple sweetness then tossed with an awesome caramelized shallot reduction. A healthy & easy side dish that will complement any meal.
I love sweet potatoes! Do you know how good they are for you? They are one of the important super foods that you should incorporate into your diet. Full of Vitamins C & D and antioxidants, important to your immune system, high in iron that aids in metabolizing protein for energy, packed with magnesium for regulating stress levels and their sweetness is derived from natural sugars that are released slowly into the bloodstream helping to regulate blood sugar spikes that may lead to weight gain. What more could you want? Oh, and they taste terrific!
When I was making my ham for Easter I wanted to serve sweet potatoes but not the sugar-laden casserole that tastes more like dessert than a side dish. I wanted something healthier that would still be tasty, with just a hint of sweetness, but minus the boatload of calories. And I wanted to make them just a little fancier than just plain roasted potatoes.
I dithered a little on what to add but when I saw this balsamic reduction when searching the web it looked like the perfect combo. And boy was it ever! The shallots were caramelized to bring out their sweetness and a touch of tangy flavor from the vinegar was the perfect foil. All this added to my roasted sweet potatoes made them disappear super quick.
They are easy to make, as the oven does all the work, and can be served with or without the shallots (but really you have to include them!) And they go great with grilled rosemary lamb chops, ham, pork roast, turkey, and even chicken. They are also wonderful for fall, Thanksgiving, and Christmas dinners.
Love anything that has to do with sweet potatoes? If so, you've got to try these:
Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potato for your next Meatless Monday meal.
Yummy Sweet Potato Streusel Muffins for a healthier breakfast.
Pumpkin Pecan Cobbler with toffee and maple sauce for a quick and easy dump cake dessert.
Find even more of the best fall recipes here on 2CM!
MAPLE ROASTED SWEET POTATOES with BALSAMIC SHALLOTS
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 3 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 3 Tablespoons extra light olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- ¼ cup pecans, roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3 large shallots, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray cookie sheet with sides with non-stick spray.
- Place cut sweet potatoes in large bowl. Combine 2 tablespoons each maple syrup and olive oil and drizzle over potatoes. Season them with salt & pepper to taste.
- Toss nuts with cinnamon and sugar to coat then add to sweet potatoes. Pour onto prepared cookie sheet and spread into single layer.
- Bake 30 minutes, turning half way through, until soft and slightly caramelized.
- While potatoes are baking, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and shallots in small skillet over medium heat. Sauté until slightly caramelized, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add remaining tablespoon of syrup and tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. Continue to sauté until caramelized and golden brown, about another 5-8 minutes.
- Keep warm until potatoes are done.
- Pour potatoes into serving bowl and add caramelized shallots. Stir.
- Serve immediately.
This post has been updated and was first published on April 15, 2015.