This Bloody Maria is a spicy variation of the classic Bloody Mary. The perfect brunch cocktail when garnished with my addictive Bourbon Candied Bacon, olives, celery, pickles, roasted red peppers and cherry tomatoes.
It's Sunday and Sunday means sleeping in a little later and having a nice leisurely brunch like Stuffed French Toast, Ham & Cheese Quiche or my Best Ever Waffles. Usually, when having brunch out, the restaurant gives you a choice between a mimosa or a Bloody Mary but I've brought something a little different to the table today. This cocktail takes the classic Bloody Mary, made with vodka, and puts a little Mexican twist on it. Just substitute tequila for the normal vodka and you've got what is commonly referred to as a Bloody Maria.
When this post was first written, back in October of 2014, I found a mix by Tres Agaves that would make a Bloody Maria. This mix had no artificial sweeteners or high fructose corn syrup, was organic, and tequila was called for in lieu of vodka. When shopping recently, I couldn't find this mix any longer but I did find a Bloody Mary mix made by the same company. It has all the healthier components of their original Bloody Maria mix and is perfect to use for either a Bloody Maria or the standard Bloody Mary.
This here Bloody Maria is all about the garnishes!
The cocktail is your standard spicy tomato juice mixed with tequila but the garnishes, oh my, they take it to the next level! What did I use? Simple things that you probably have in your refrigerator already. Things like celery, pickles, cherry tomatoes, olives, roasted red peppers, lemon slices, and the real showstopper - bourbon candied bacon! If you add this, and you must, it's the piece de resistance, the crowning glory, the ... well you get the idea, that will make bacon lovers drool and your sweet tooth friends smile. And, thankfully, it's super easy to make.
Easy to make Bourbon Candied Bacon
First, in a medium bowl, mix the brown sugar with the cayenne and chili powder. Pour in maple syrup and bourbon and stir.
Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Spray a wire cooling rack with nonstick spray and place on cookie sheet. Dip bacon slices into mixture and lay on the wire rack.
Bake in 400 degree oven for 30 minutes, turning once after 15 minutes. When remove from oven let cool for 5 minutes then loosen from wire rack. Let cool the rest of the way.
You'll probably want to nibble away at this bacon until there's nothing left (cause it's that good!) but then there won't be any left for this Bloody Maria! I've got the perfect solution! Just make a double batch and you can have it in your cocktail and have enough left over for a snack too.
Want this bacon as an appetizer? Skewer it as soon as it's cool enough to handle from the oven and then let it cool. Keeps everyone's hands clean but they still get that sticky candy taste.
To finish our Bloody Maria cocktail, I couldn't forget the rim! Since my husband and I like spicy, I coated the rim with a mixture of salt, Old Bay and a little celery salt. It was the perfect finishing touch! How did we like it? It was "magnifico"! It surprised both my husband and myself with how refreshing it was, with it's slightly sweet tomato-y taste overlaid with a spicy kick. It's a cocktail we will definitely be making again and again!
- 2 oz Tequila
- 4 oz Tres Agaves Bloody Mary Mix - Organic or your favorite Bloody Mary mix
- Lemon wedge
- Old Bay Celery salt for rim
- Garnishes: celery stalk, olives, roasted red pepper, cherry tomatoes, dill pickle, lemon wedge, candied bacon
Old Bay Celery Salt (enough for 4 cocktails)
- 2 Tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 Tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon celery salt
Bourbon Candied Bacon (makes enough for 10-12 cocktails)
- 1 lb. thick bacon
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup bourbon
Bourbon Candied Bacon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large cookie sheet with sides with aluminum foil.
- Spray a wire cooling rack with nonstick spray and set on top of prepared cookie sheet.
- In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, cayenne pepper and chili powder together. Pour in maple syrup and bourbon and stir.
- Dip each slice of bacon in bourbon-sugar mixture to coat then lay across wire rack. Continue coating remaining pieces and placing on wire rack, making sure the pieces do not overlap.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes, turning after the first 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven when the pieces are browned and nice and shiny.
- Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes then carefully remove each piece from rack and set back down. This will prevent the bacon from sticking to rack and breaking when it hardens. Let cool completely.
- This will make 10-12 pieces.
Old Bay Celery Salt
- Mix all ingredients together on a flat plate.
- Prepare rim of tall glass by rubbing a slice of lemon around edge. Dip rim into Old Bay Celery Salt.
- Fill glass with ice.
- Add tequila then top off with Bloody Mary mix.
- Garnish as desired.
CONNECT WITH 2 COOKIN MAMAS!