This Almond Danish Braid is so easy & makes the sweetest breakfast treat. Flaky puff pastry is brushed with butter, filled with sweet almond filling and finished with a drizzle of vanilla icing and a sprinkling of almonds. It’s absolutely irresistible! Easy braiding instructions will make anyone a pro.
My sister came down from Michigan last week to visit me and enjoy some of our warm weather. I don’t get to see her very often so I wanted to spoil her and make a few of her favorite things. I made her a rich and delicious coffee and chocolate dessert, Mocha Cheesecake Mini Indulgences, and this beautiful danish for a sweet breakfast treat. One of her all time favorites, and mine as well, are almond pastries from the bakery, but I wanted to go one better and make a homemade version.
And it was surprising how easy this was to make! It starts out with a few store bought items to save time. One is frozen puff pastry sheets and the other is a can of almond pastry filling. I use this same filling in my Almond Breads I make for Christmas and it’s delicious. All that’s left is some butter and a few ingredients for the vanilla icing drizzle. And of course the braiding!
Don’t groan! It’s actually very easy and I’ll give you a step by step, which you’ll only need to look at once, before you become a pro.
Easy steps to make this awesome Almond Braid
First, let the puff pastry thaw for about 40 minutes then lay out on a wooden cutting board.
Cut strips on either side of center that are about 2″ long and about 1″ wide. I use a pizza cutter and it works just great. Discard the strip on each corner so all you have is a little flap of dough to close over the end.
Melt butter and brush the center of braid that hasn’t been cut. Using 1/2 can of pastry filling each, spread on top of butter to cover. Starting with one end, fold over top edge then take the first strip and fold in at a slight angle, covering filling. Repeat with strip on the other side. Continue braiding by alternating strips on either side. Just before folding in bottom strips, fold over bottom edge then braid last two strips.
Brush top with egg wash and bake for 20 minutes.
Remove from oven and drizzle icing over the top then sprinkle with some sliced almonds. Now, dive in!
Flaky pastry, sweet almond filling and a little crunch from the almonds makes this a breakfast treat you won’t forget. And the whole thing only takes about 30 minutes from start to finish. I can see that this will be a treat we will go back to again and again.
This Almond Danish Braid is so easy & makes the sweetest breakfast treat. Flaky puff pastry is brushed with butter, filled with sweet almond filling and finished with a drizzle of vanilla icing and a sprinkling of almonds. It's absolutely irresistible! Easy braiding instructions will make anyone a pro.
- 1 package frozen puff pastry
- 1 can almond pastry filling (not almond paste)
- 4-6 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 Tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 Tablespoons milk or cream
- 1 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
- Thaw puff pastry dough as directed on package. This should take about 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a cookie sheet with nonstick spray.
- Open puff pastry sheet on a wooden cutting board and lay flat.
Using a pizza cutter, cut 2" long strips on either side of center, making them about 1" wide. You should have 8 or 9 strips on each side when done.
- Remove the strips on each corner, leaving the center intact to fold over filling.
- Brush melted butter on center of dough.
- Top butter with 1/2 can almond filling and spread evenly.
- Beginning at one end, fold over center flap to cover filling.
- Fold over the top strip at a slight angle. Repeat with opposite side. Proceed with remaining strips until you reach the bottom set of strips.
- Fold over the center flap on the bottom then fold over the last two strips.
Using a large spatula, move braid to cookie sheet.
Repeat with remaining puff pastry and filling to make second braid.
- Whisk egg in a small bowl and brush on top of braids.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes.
- While pastry is baking, mix all ingredients for almond or vanilla icing together. Add more confectioner's sugar if you need to thicken it or more cream if it needs to be thinner. It should be a good consistency to drizzle over braid.
- Remove cookie sheets to wire rack and immediately drizzle icing over braids. Sprinkle on sliced almonds.
Makes 2 braids.