This Homemade Gingerbread Cake is a quick and easy recipe that is full of rich molasses & flavored with plenty of ginger & cinnamon. A perfect dessert for the holidays! Served with a sprinkle of powdered sugar, a la mode, or with caramel or vanilla sauce. Maybe you can even sneak a piece or two for breakfast!
Gingerbread has been a favorite of my family for years, especially my Dad. Every time he would come to visit me, no matter where I lived or what time of year it was, I would bake him a gingerbread cake. He so looked forward to it and I am sure if I didn’t bake one he would have been so disappointed.
I traditionally make it for the holidays now and everyone knows it’s baking as soon as they walk in the house. The aroma from this will have you drooling and thinking Christmas never smelled so good.
This same spicy gingerbread recipe has been with me now for over 40 years. I think the first time I ever made it was in my middle school home ec class. No number crunching here. lol
It’s a rich, dense bread-like cake from the molasses that is added to the batter and comes out with a distinct spicy flavor from the ginger and cinnamon.
Rich, dense, and hard to resist – Gingerbread Cake is the perfect addition to your holiday dessert table.
I love to serve squares of gingerbread with a little powdered sugar on top but it’s also great a la mode with some caramel sauce or vanilla sauce drizzled on top.
If you’ve ever made quick breads, such as Classic Banana Bread or Chocolate Zucchini Bread, you’ll realize how simple this recipe is to make. It requires just 8 ingredients, a couple of bowls, some measuring utensils, a spoon, and an 8″ or 9″ square baking dish. Check out just how easy it is below.
Easy steps to the perfect Homemade Spicy Gingerbread Cake
- In a medium bowl, combine melted shortening, molasses, and sugar. Stir.
- Combine flour, baking soda and spices. Add some flour mixture to molasses batter and blend.
- Alternate water and flour additions until all ingredients have been used. Stir well.
- Pour into prepared square baking dish. Smooth top and bake.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack.
Cut into squares sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar.
Decorate the platter with mint leaves and cranberries and serve with caramel or vanilla sauce on the side.
When I make this at Christmas time, it always brings a smile to my face just remembering my Dad’s joy upon seeing this gingerbread on the table when he arrived. Such a special feeling in my heart for this spicy, sweet dessert. Of course, we never told anyone that he had it for breakfast too. 🙂
You can use this to make Gingerbread Chocolate Truffles for a sweet holiday treat.
Find even more of the best Christmas recipes here on 2CM!
HOMEMADE GINGERBREAD CAKE
- 1/2 cup shortening melted
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan with shortening. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine melted shortening, molasses and sugar.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking soda and spices.
- Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with hot water to molasses mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Place on wire rack to cool.
- Sprinkle cooled gingerbread with powdered sugar.
- Cut into squares and serve as is, a la mode or with a caramel or vanilla sauce.
DON’T MISS A RECIPE!
This post has been updated and was first published on December 14, 2018.