A fresh, colorful Red White and Blue Berry Salad that’s perfect for any picnic or patriotic event. Strawberries, marshmallows and cream cheese make a rich bottom layer, topped with blueberry jello and a center filled with luscious whipped cream.
It was hard to find the right name to describe this salad but it definitely falls into my red, white and blue theme. For the red part of my theme, I used fresh, sweet strawberries, which luckily are on sale this time of year, and lightened them up with jello then whipped them together with marshmallows, cream cheese and whipped cream. For the blue, I found some berry blue jello that fit the bill perfectly. And the white, what else but delicious whipped cream!
The salad comes out closer to a dessert but why wait until the end of the meal when it tastes so good with all the other picnic fixins’. I usually make this with lime and pineapple but actually liked the strawberries and cream take on this one.
More Patriotic Favorites
Patriotic Parfaits – cool, refreshing layered dessert of strawberries, blueberries, angel food cake and whipped cream.
Red White and Blue Salad – a light summer mix of seasonal juicy blueberries, ripe strawberries, feta cheese and sliced almonds, tossed with fresh greens and a little feta then sprinkled with a light raspberry vinaigrette.
Red White and Bleu Burgers – A juicy hamburger, spiced up with jalapenos and garlic then topped with a generous helping of bleu cheese. They’re quick, easy and super delicious.
RED WHITE and BLUE BERRY SALAD
- 1 small package berry blue jello (if not going for the red, white and blue theme substitute strawberry jello here)
- 1 small package strawberry jello
- 1 cup mini-marshmallows
- 1 small 4-oz. package cream cheese, room temperature
- Strawberries, cut-up & additional for garnish
- 1 cup whipped cream or cool whip
- Prepare package of berry blue jello according to package directions for quick set.
- Pour into jello mold and place in refrigerator for approximately 2 hours or until firmly set.
- Open package of strawberry jello and empty into medium bowl. Pour 1 cup boiling water over jello and mix until dissolved.
- Add mini-marshmallows and stir until melted.
- Cool in bowl in refrigerator for about 1/2 to 3/4 hour until jello is syrupy.
- To this syrupy jello mixture, add cream cheese, cut up strawberries and whipped cream. Stir until well mixed.
- Remove berry blue jello in mold from refrigerator and pour cream cheese mixture on top.
- Return to refrigerator until top mixture is firm.
- To remove from mold, place mold in very warm water, being careful not to let water flow over top, for about 30 seconds. Place plate on top of mold and invert together.
- When ready to serve, fill center with layers of whipped cream and top with strawberries and blueberries.