Patriotic Parfaits are the perfect light, fresh dessert for the 4th of July. These red, white and blue delights are filled with layers of fresh blueberries, sweet strawberries, angel food cake and whipped cream. Everyone gets their own to dig into. Great for Memorial Day, Labor Day or summer barbecues.
Red White and Blue Dessert
I love the 4th of July and having family and friends over for a big BBQ with plenty of Red White and Bleu Burgers, Potato Salad and Baked Beans to go around. And this light dessert makes an easy but delicious ending to the meal.
It’s super easy to make with seasonal fresh fruit and ready-to-go store-bought ingredients like angel food cake and a can of whipped cream. Just 10 minutes is all it takes to create the perfect summer dessert.
I like to make my patriotic parfaits in clear mason jars so all the beautiful colors come through. These same mason jars come in handy when making it early, as the lid can be screwed on prior to the last topping of whipped cream then stored in the refrigerator. Or, for outdoor entertaining, you can opt for clear plastic cups which also makes for easier cleanup.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is this parfait healthy?
It’s a relatively healthy dessert, as desserts go, at only 292 calories but I wouldn’t call it a health food. You could make it healthier by using a lowfat whipped cream or Almond Milk Whipped Cream, or even better, yogurt, in lieu of whipped cream.
How long does this parfait keep?
If you are using whipped cream, I would make this, at the most, several hours in advance, leaving off the finishing layer of whipped cream until just prior to serving. If you swap out the whipped cream for yogurt, you can make this up to a day in advance, again, finishing with the whipped cream just prior to serving.
Can I make this dessert gluten-free and dairy-free?
Most certainly. To make this gluten-free make sure to look for or bake a gluten-free angel food cake. To make dairy-free, use an Almond Milk or Coconut Whipped Cream in lieu of a regular whipped cream.
Make this Red White and Blue Dessert Your Own
Drizzle a little Grand Marnier or your favorite liqueur over the top for a more decadent adult treat.
Try different fruits such as raspberries, blackberries, kiwi, peaches and mangos.
Add granola or chopped nuts to several layers for a crunchier note.
For all the chocolate lovers out there, add a layer or two of chocolate chips. You can never go wrong with this addition.
Easy Steps to Make these Patriotic Parfaits
- Gather ingredients. (step 1)
- Chop strawberries into 8ths. (step 2)
- Cut angel food cake into cubes. (step 3)
- Ready to layer it up. (step 4)
- Line up 4 mason jars and place a small amount of whipped cream in the bottom of each jar. (step 5)
- Add a layer of blueberries. (step 6)
- Place 4-5 pieces of cubed angel food cake on top of blueberries. (step 7)
- Add another layer of whipped cream. (step 8)
- Drop chopped strawberries on top of whipped cream. (step 9)
- Finish with a nice swirl of whipped cream and top with a whole strawberry. (step 10)
Note: If your jars or cups are taller, just continue to layer until full.
Optional: For adults only, pour a tablespoon of Grand Marnier or your favorite liqueur on top of the whipped cream for a really indulgent treat.
Wishing each and every one of you a wonderful 4th of July! Make it a safe one and enjoy friends, family and all the delicious food.
More Recipes for Your 4th!
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive our free Awesome Appetizers e-book.
- 1/2 Angel Food Cake cut in small chunks
- 1 pint Strawberries chopped or raspberries, whole
- 1 pint Blueberries
- 2 cups Whipped cream or Cool Whip
- Grand Marnier optional
- Gather ingredients. Wash berries. Chop strawberries into 8ths and angel food cake into cubes.
- If making your own whipped cream, make it just prior to putting parfaits together.
- Line up 4 mason jars or clear plastic cups.
- Place a small amount of whipped cream in the bottom of each jar.
- Add a layer of blueberries.
- Add 4-5 pieces of cubed angel food cake.
- Add another layer of whipped cream. If room, add another layer of angel food cake.
- Carefully place chopped strawberries on top.
- Add additional layers depending on height of glass.
- Finish with a nice swirl of whipped cream and top with a whole strawberry.
- Optional: For adults only, pour a tablespoon of Grand Marnier or your favorite liqueur on top of whipped cream for a really indulgent treat.
This post has been updated with newer photos and step-by-step instructions. It was originally posted on July 2, 2014.