Key Lime Coolers are light sugar-coated cookies, perfect for picnics & after school treats. Adults & kids alike will love the sweet-tart combination!
It’s time for Creative Cookie Exchange reveal day again! I know, if you love cookies like I do, you probably couldn’t wait to see what we had cooked up this month. This month’s theme was “Pack for a Picnic” cookies and the timing couldn’t be more perfect with Labor Day right around the corner.
The challenge was to pick a cookie that would transport well and be a delicious finishing touch to a big picnic meal. I am always so full after a picnic that I want something light and tasty to offset all the barbecue and chips. These Key Lime Coolers fit the bill perfectly!
They are light, slightly tart but with a nice touch of sweetness from the powdered sugar. The kids always love eating them because they get powdered sugar all over the faces. I think they try to see who can get the most on them. 🙂
They also remind me of lemonade and limeade that goes so well with a picnic. And they are super easy to make with just a few limes, regular cookie ingredients and a small cookie scoop. Plus, with just a few additional add-ins, you can make them all your own.
I had two add-ins I wanted to try so I divided my cookie dough into thirds and made a little of each. The first was the basic version, full of zippy tartness from the lime, the second had a touch of basil and the third had some sweet white chocolate chips. They each had their own unique taste and were all super delicious! But, if you ask me what my favorite was, I would have to choose the original. They bring back so many wonderful memories of the Florida Keys whenever I bite into one. That is a hard flavor to beat!
Hope you enjoy these little coolers, however you decide to fix them. Got any more ideas for add-ins? Leave me a comment and let me know.
Adapted from recipes found on Food.com & Uncommondesignsonline.com.
The theme this month is Pack for a Picnic Cookies–any kind of cookie that sounds great for a picnic! If you are a blogger and want to join in the fun, contact Laura at thespicedlife AT gmail DOT com and she will get you added to our Facebook group, where we discuss our cookies and share links.
You can also just use us as a great resource for cookie recipes–be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month!
Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
- Browned Butter Lemon Cookies with Macadamia Nuts from The Spiced Life
- Gingham Picnic Cookies from Food Lust People Love
- Demerara Shortbread Cookies from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Naan Khatai – Indian Shortbread Cookies from Spiceroots
- Potato Chip Chocolate Chip Cookies from Our Good Life
- Key Lime Coolers from 2 Cookin’ Mamas
- Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies from Noshing With The Nolands
- Raisin Biscuits from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Soft Brown Sugar Cookies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chocolate Chip Cookies from SimplyVeggies
- Gluten-Free Trail Mix Cookies from Rhubarb and Honey
- Cashew Butter Bites from Magnolia Days
- Blondies from A Baker’s House
- Nutella Energy Bites from Study at Home Mama