Warning! This caramel cashew popcorn is totally addictive! Popcorn mixed with cashews gets an extra crunch from a sweet caramel glaze. Great for movie night, slumber parties or those midnight munchies!
Friday nights were always movie nights at our house and, when you're watching a movie, popcorn has got to be in the picture. Everyone loves my homemade Pumpkin Caramel Popcorn during the fall but this Caramel Cashew Popcorn is definitely everyone's favorite. It's super delicious and totally addictive and I made it just in time for National Popcorn Day on Saturday.
Just a few simple steps to make this addictive Caramel Cashew Popcorn.
- Pop your popcorn or purchase a large bag (about 9 cups) from your local supermarket.
- Place in a large bowl and add cashews.
- In a medium saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, salt and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Pour over popcorn-nut mixture and stir to coat well.
- Place on 2 cookie sheets, making sure to spread in one single layer. Bake for 20 minutes, stir, then bake 20 minutes more.
- Remove from oven, spread on waxed paper and let cool.
This caramel popcorn comes out super crunchy and not at all sticky. It's great for movie nights, kids' slumber parties or for snacking on long car trips. In fact, my husband and I took it with us on our trip to see the kids at Christmas, just in case we got the munchies (which we always do), and my husband thought it was so good that he wondered why I hadn't brought more with me. lol Like we needed it!
Come to think of it, this would make a great snack for this weekends football playoffs too. I can picture us now, popcorn in hand with a brewski (him) and ice cold margarita (me) while cheering on our favorite team.
Caramel Cashew Popcorn
- 10 cups popped popcorn
- 1 ½ cups cashews coarsely chopped (I buy the halves & pieces)
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup water
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Spray 2 large rimmed cookie sheets with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pop popcorn or purchase already popped. I found mine, at a great price, at my grocery store deli. Pour into a large bowl and add nuts.
- Mix brown sugar, butter, salt and water in a small saucepan. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Pour over popcorn-nut mixture and stir to coat well.
- Spread out on prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 20 minutes, mix well, then bake for another 20 minutes. Remove from oven and place on wax paper to cool.
- Store in an airtight container.
This post has been updated. It was first published on January 19, 2015.