A deliciously decadent chocolate lovers cake filled with no-bake strawberry cheesecake filling and covered with more chocolate. It’s easy, perfect for special occasions and the leftover cake makes some yummy cake pops too!
Homemade Chocolate Sheet Cake
Hi all! I am guest blogging over at My Cooking Spot today with a sweet treat for Valentine’s Day. This Chocolate Lovers Cake is just what you need for the chocolate lover & Valentine in your life. It is not only beautiful to look at and decadently delicious but, wait for it, it’s so easy to make too! I love easy, don’t you?
This chocolate lovers cake is moist and light but dense with chocolate taste and the strawberry NO-BAKE, yep that’s what I said, no-bake cheesecake filling is the perfect foil. Of course cutting it into a heart shape just makes this dessert scream I love you! Don’t stop there though, cover it all with dark chocolate ganache and, be still my heart, you’ll fall in love.
Chocolate Cake Pops
Oh and we can’t forget that this is a twofer, or in normal speak, a two for the baking of one recipe. We couldn’t waste all that cake when we cut the hearts (if you have kids this is a real bonus) so we used the cake scraps to make delicious chocolate cake pops. Of course, you might want to leave out the liqueur for the kids, but that won’t hurt the taste one bit (and the kids will never miss it).
So hop on over to My Cooking Spot or you can now find it below and catch our Chocolate Lovers Cake recipe so you can surprise your loved one with a spectacular dessert this Valentine’s Day. Oh, and it’s not just for Valentines Day, it works great for anniversaries and romantic dinners too. Enjoy & Happy Valentine’s Day!
More Valentine’s Day Treats
Valentine Trifle from 2CM
Chocolate Cherry Tart from 2CM
Dark Chocolate Mousse with Irish Cream from Family Spice
Sweetheart Cookies from 2CM
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive a free e-book.
CHOCOLATE LOVERS CAKE
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1-3/8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder (I used Divine Cocoa)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/8 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/8 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 ounces strong coffee – I used vanilla crème brulee Keurig K-cup
- 1/8 cup Grand Marnier or your favorite liqueur
Strawberry Cream Cheese Filling
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 4 teaspoons confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon sour cream
- 4 crushed strawberries + 3 chopped small
- 5.5 oz. bittersweet chocolate chopped (I used Divine Bittersweet Chocolate)
- 4 oz. half & half or heavy cream if you’re not worried about calories
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Grand Marnier or your favorite liqueur
Adult Cake Pops
- Leftover devil’s food cake
- 3 Tablespoons strawberry cheesecake filling
- 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I used Divine Bittersweet Chocolate)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- 1- oz. Grand Marnier
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line one cookie sheet with sides with either a silpat or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Stir well and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla until well combined. Add to dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Brew a 6-oz cup of coffee. I like to use my Keurig as it will brew a 6-oz cup with one K-cup. Add the brewed coffee and Grand Marnier to the cake batter and whisk til smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes or until set. Cool on wire rack.
- Using a large heart cookie cutter or a template, cut the cake into 6 hearts. Lift away scraps and place in bowl for later use (cake pops). Carefully set remaining hearts on wire rack until ready to assemble.
Strawberry Cheesecake Filling
- Cream together cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add vanilla & sour cream and mix well. Stir in strawberries and juice from crushed strawberries then add finely chopped strawberries for that extra pop of flavor.
- Place bottom layers of heart chocolate cake on serving dish. Spread a nice layer of strawberry cheesecake filling over the top of the layers. You should be left with about 3 Tablespoons which will help make the cake pops with the scraps. Place top layers on filling. They are now ready for the ganache.
- Place chopped chocolate in microwave safe measuring cup. Place in microwave and heat in 30 second increments, stirring in-between, until chocolate is melted. Usually takes 1 to 1-1/2 minutes. Add half & half and Grand Marnier and stir well.
- Pour over cake, starting from middle, and let it drip down the sides. Let cakes sit while chocolate hardens. Store in refrigerator then remove and let sit out at room temperature about 20 minutes before serving. Make 3 double layer heart cakes.
Adult Cake Pops
- Crumble left over devil’s food cake in large bowl. Add cheesecake filling. Chill for an hour.
- Take out of refrigerator and form into balls. Place a popsicle stick, if desired, into each ball and place on waxed paper-lined cookie sheet. Place in freezer for about 2 hours.
- Prepare chocolate coating. Place chocolate and shortening in microwave safe measuring cup. Place in microwave and heat in 30-second increments, stirring in-between, until chocolate is melted. Add in Grand Marnier and stir well.
- Place chocolate in a tall thin container that will fit cake balls. Remove cake pops and dip immediately into warm chocolate. You can put sprinkles on them as soon as you pull out of chocolate or leave as is. Place back on waxed paper to cool.
- I like to store mine in the refrigerator but they are fine in a covered container at room temperature.
- Makes between 6-10 cake pops depending on size of heart shaped cutter and size of cake balls.