These BAKED vanilla doughnuts are soft & flavorful inside with the most finger lickin' good chocolate glaze ever! And they're quick, easy and gluten-free too! Regular version available too.
August just flew by for me with a stay at my daughter's home to help her with my new granddaugher to traveling back again, courtesy of my wonderful son-in-law, to celebrate her birthday with her just a few weeks later. He didn't give me much notice but I did manage to bake up some doughnuts, gluten-free of course, in her favorite flavor - gluten-free vanilla doughnuts with chocolate frosting. It turned out to be the perfect birthday morning surprise! Woohoo!
Now, if you are gluten-free, you know it's not always easy to make a great tasting gluten-free version when having to translate the ingredients to fit into the wheat-free category. But that being said, I have to say these came out tasting fabulous, in fact so good that I even surprised myself!
They are super easy to make and, with the richness of the buttermilk added in, they come out as good, no better, than what you would get at any gluten-free bakery. I also tried them in a non-gluten-free version, using regular flour in a 1:1 ration and leaving out the xanthan gum, and they came out with the same moist rich flavor as the gluten-free version.
Of course, the most important critic was my 5-year-old grandson. So, what did he think? He thought the vanilla doughnuts with chocolate glaze were one of the best treats in the world (his words) but his favorite - chocolate doughnuts with white chocolate glaze (coming soon) which I had made just for him. Go Grandma! (I think the sprinkles helped a lot - lol)
And the rich chocolate glaze is no slouch either and worth every calorie. You won't be able to resist licking your fingers!
So anyone thinking of making doughnuts and imaging they are just too hard, think again. Buy a non-stick 6-cavity doughnut pan, mix up this simple recipe, and you'll have fresh doughnuts in less than 30 minutes total. Now you're thinking, get out of my way, I'm on this! And so you should be - these are phenomenal and sure to be a hit in anyone's family.
If you enjoy doughnuts, check out my Lemon Blueberry Doughnuts, they're just as easy and just as yummy! Enjoy!
By the way, Happy September & have a fun & delicious Labor Day!
GLUTEN-FREE VANILLA DOUGHNUTS with CHOCOLATE GLAZE
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour (I use King Arthur's gluten-free all-purpose flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅜ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ⅜ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-¼ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3-4 Tablespoons half & half, cream or milk
- Sprinkles optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 6-pc doughnut pan with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, sugar, egg and vanilla extract until well incorporated.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Spoon into prepared pan, filling about ⅔ to ¾ full. and leaving center free from batter.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes.
- Remove from pan immediately by turning pan upside down over wire rack. Let cool for 10-15 minutes while you prepare glaze.
- To prepare glaze: Whisk all ingredients together, starting with 3 tablespoons of half & half, and only add additional if glaze is too thick.
- Dip the tops of doughnuts into glaze then place back on wire rack and top with sprinkles if desired. Allow to cool completely.
Adapted slightly from a recipe found on Sally's Baking Addiction.