Thai Cucumber Salad is a healthy, crispy appetizer or side dish for your favorite Asian dishes. Fresh cucumbers, carrots and bell peppers combine with juicy oranges and red chiles that balance out that sweet-spicy flavor perfectly. Toss with a Thai dressing that accents all the flavors then garnish with cilantro and a few peanuts for that added crunch.
My husband and I love going to the neighborhood's best Asian/Sushi restaurant at least once a month. Every time we visit, they serve a complimentary salad that we love and we're always analyzing it to try and figure out all the ingredients. This spicy cucumber salad recipe is as close as I have come so far in delivering the same cooling but slightly spicy flavor of the salad.
You'll be amazed at how refreshing and delicious this salad is, especially during the hot summer months, but what's even better is that it's healthy too! When you visit your Farmer's Market or grocery store look for organic cucumbers so you can leave the skin on, then stock up on organic peppers and carrots. Buying organic produce allows you to leave the peels on any vegetable or fruit for a much higher nutritional value. Serve with an Asian-flavored main dish, as an appetizer or just eat it by itself as a snack. Enjoy!
Asian Main Dishes
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive a free e-book.
Thai Cucumber Salad
- 2 organic cucumbers unpeeled (if using regular cucumbers, do peel them), cubed
- 1 shallot minced
- 2 green onions sliced thin
- ¼ cup red bell pepper cubed
- ¼ cup slightly cooked carrots cubed
- ½ cup oranges or grapefruit cubed (optional)
- ½-1 red chile minced (depending on how much heat you like)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- ¼ cup peanuts roughly chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Tamari or regular soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Mix all salad ingredients together except for ¼ cup cilantro and peanuts.
- Mix all dressing ingredients and stir until sugar is well incorporated.
- Pour about half over salad and toss to coat. Serve remaining dressing on the side.
- Garnish with peanuts and remaining cilantro.