Rosemary Olive Oil is the perfect gift to give for the holidays. It’s super simple to make and has only 3 ingredients – good quality olive oil, fresh rosemary and a few red pepper flakes. Anyone can make this!
I wanted to make a few homemade gifts for my family and friends this Christmas and decided that something to do with cooking would be ideal. Duh! My garden is currently overflowing with rosemary and other wonderful fresh herbs so why not make some flavored olive oil. I know, I know, you are probably wondering where I am in mid-winter that I have this great garden (hint: we have palm trees and sandy beaches), living here does have its benefits!
The oil is super simple to make and has only 3 ingredients – a good quality olive oil, fresh rosemary and a few red pepper flakes. Anyone can make this! Just find some cute olive oil bottles (and you can even add the dipping plates too for someone special), add in a few suggested uses, such as bread dipping, sauteing, toss with pasta, salad dressing, a marinade for poultry, or just as a rub on roasted turkey or grilled vegetables, and a pretty gift bag (wine bottle bags work great) and there you have the perfect homemade gift straight from the heart.
- 2 bottles made for dispensing olive oil (I found mine in a discount store)
- 3 cups excellent quality extra virgin light olive oil
- 12 sprigs of rosemary
- Dry red crushed pepper flakes
- Two days prior to making this herbed oil, cut 12 sprigs of fresh rosemary (or purchase it a package in the store), just a little shorter than the bottle you will be using, and wash gently. Place in boiling water for 45 seconds to 1 minute to kill bacteria then set out to dry on a paper towel for 1-2 days or until it is completely dry.
- Wash your bottle out well and make sure that it is also dry. Let sit without the top on for several days as well.
- To prepare: Heat olive oil in saucepan over low heat until very warm. Remove from heat and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place 6 rosemary sprigs in each bottle with some red pepper flakes (amount depends on your tastes).
- Once oil has cooled slightly, pour into the prepared bottle and let cool for an hour then seal with a cork.
- Set in a dark, cool, dry place or the refrigerator for a week to allow the rosemary to infuse the oil.
- This herbed oil will keep well either at room temperature or in the refrigerator for several months. Note that it may become cloudy while in the refrigerator but it is still fine to use.
- Some suggested uses – bread dipping, sauteing, toss with pasta, salad dressing, a marinade for poultry, or just as a rub on roasted turkey or grilled vegetables.