Key Lime White Chocolate Chunk Cookies have a refreshing hint of lime & are chock full of white chocolate. Add to that, coconut and macadamia nuts and what's not to like? A refreshing summer tropical treat!
It's time for our monthly Creative Cookie Exchange roundup and what could be better in the middle of winter than a cookie that makes us think of tropical islands? I, for one, love to think of the Florida Keys (where I'll be in a couple months) and lolling around by the pool drinking Key Lime Coladas and eating coconut-crusted mahi. Have I made you jealous yet? lol
So it is no surprise that I chose to make these delicious Key Lime Cookies that are chock full of coconut and macadamia nuts and full of key lime juice that comes straight from the key lime tree in my backyard. (And I had to sneak in my orchids too that are blooming away right now.) If you've never seen a key lime, they are much smaller that a regular Persian lime, have a stronger flavor and are a bit more tart. Oh, and utterly delicious! So let's hear it for key limes and if you love zesty lime flavor you just have to try these Key Lime Coolers come summer. They are light and refreshingly tart and perfect for long hot days.
And if you're feeling like you need a tropical get-away about now, you know the ones with blue skies, warm weather and white sandy beaches, then check out all the other tropical deliciousness from the rest of our Creative Cookie Exchange below. And here's hoping they will give you that Calgon feeling and take you away. (I'm not the only one that remembers that commercial, am I? :-))
KEY LIME WHITE CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIES
- 1-¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅜ cup butter
- ⅜ cup + 1 teaspoon shortening, divided
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon + 2 teaspoons key lime juice
- 1 egg
- 1-½ teaspoons key lime zest
- 12 oz white chocolate, divided & coarsely chopped (bars work better than chips)
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 7 oz can or 1-½ cups macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix all dry ingredients together (flour - salt).
- Using your electric mixer, cream butter, ⅜ cup shortening, sugars, vanilla and key lime juice together until smooth and well combined.
- Continue beating while you add in egg and zest.
- Turn mixer lower and slowly add in dry ingredients. Mixing in thoroughly.
- Melt 4-oz of white chocolate with 1 teaspoon shortening in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 30-second increments, stirring in-between, until smooth.
- Add melted chocolate to batter and blend.
- Remove bowl from mixer and stir in white chocolate chunks, coconut and macadamia nuts.
- Using a small cookie scoop, scoop our dough, roll into ball with hands, and place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until cookie starts to brown around the outside edges. If you like a little crisper cookie, bake for the longer time.
- Let cool on cookie sheets for 10-15 minutes then remove with spatula and place on wire racks to finish cooling.
It’s that time of year again, the time when many of us want to daydream about being somewhere else. A tropical treat is just the ticket! The Creative Cookie Exchange is going all tropical this February, and that could mean anything from fruit to spices to cut-out cookies. We’ve got you covered!
You can also use us as a great resource for cookie recipes. Be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them here at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
- Chocolate Dipped Macadamia Nut Cookies by A Baker's House
- Coconut Mango Butter Cookies by Oven Delights
- Frosted Pineapple Shortbread Cookies by Magnolia Days
- Guava Lava Cookiess by Flours & Frostings
- Hawaiian Raincoast Crisps by All That's Left Are The Crumbs
- Key Lime White Chocolate Chunk Cookies by 2 Cookin' Mamas
- Lime Coconut Bars with Macadamia Nuts and White Chocolate Chunks by The Spiced Life
- Macadamia Nut and White Chocolate Chunk Cookies by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Mojito Sugar Cookies by Upstate Ramblings
- Passion Fruit Curd Shortbread Cookies by Live. Bake. Love.
- Pineapple Coconut Cookies by A Shaggy Dough Story
- Pineapple Macadamia Nut Shortbread by Food Lust People Love
What's your favorite tropical cookie?