Our award winning Key Lime Cake has four layers of moist slightly tart key lime cake and sweet lemony filling and covered with a rich raspberry cream cheese frosting. Let the kids help decorate this pastel Easter delight with toasted coconut and their favorite candy eggs.
**Winner of the Country Crock & The Daily Meal Easter Baking Contest**
I am so excited to be working with CCN, Culinary Content Network, and taking part in their Country Crock Baking Contest. We were asked to create a recipe that fit in with the Easter-Springtime theme and use Shedd’s Spread Country Crock in the recipe.
Now I had to decide what to make? So many choices but, and y’all know I’m in Florida, my mind immediately went to citrus, and the pastel colors of limes and lemons. I have key limes right in my backyard so why not make something with them. I love making key lime pie but wanted something I could decorate, hence, key lime cake. And lemon would be perfect to put between the layers. Love the green-yellow color combination, don’t you? And pink icing would be the perfect topper. I like to color my foods naturally so adding a few fresh crushed raspberries to my frosting did the trick.
Decorating it was a lot of fun too. You can use candies you have on hand and it’s the perfect time to call in the kids and let them help. A little toasted coconut on top was added so it looked more Easter baskety (I know, not a word, but it fit so well).
Hope you enjoy this springtime dessert and for more deliciousness check out the other entries to the Country Crock & The Daily Meal Easter Baking Contest here.
Wishing everyone a Happy Easter and, for our Jewish friends, a Happy Passover as well.
KEY LIME CAKE with RASPBERRY CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 3 cups flour
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup Shedd’s Spread Country Crock
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons clear vanilla
- 2/3 cup key lime juice
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- Green food coloring
- Garnishes: small colorful Easter egg candies (I used Cadbury mini-eggs but small malted milk balls will work too)
- Lemon curd
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3/8 cup Shedd’s Spread Country Crock
- 8- oz. cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 3 Tablespoons crushed raspberries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease & flour two 9-inch cake pans.
- Toast coconut by spreading out on cookie sheet and baking in oven for 4-5 minutes. Watch carefully as it toasts very quickly. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Turn oven up to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and baking powder and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream sugar and Country Crock together until smooth and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, and continue mixing until well incorporated. Add vanilla and blend.
- Mix together lime juice & buttermilk.
- Alternately add flour and lime-buttermilk mixture to batter. Mix in enough green food coloring to reach the desired color. Pour batter evenly into cake pans.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, checking after 30 minutes to see if top is too brown and needs to be tented with aluminum foil for the remaining time. Cake is done when springs back at touch and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Place cake pans on wire racks and let cook for 10 minutes. Turn cake out onto wire racks until completely cool.
- While cake is cooling prepare frosting.
Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- In small mixing bowl, whip Country Crock and cream cheese together until smooth. Lower mixer speed and continue to mix while slowly adding confectioner’s sugar. Add crushed raspberries and mix until well incorporated. Store in refrigerator. Take out 30 minutes prior to frosting cake. Stir smooth.
- For a 4-layer cake, cut each cake round horizontally to make 2 layers. Place 1 layer on bottom of cake plate. Spread with lemon curd. Top with another layer. Spread with raspberry frosting. Top with another layer. Spread with lemon curd then place final layer on top, cut side down. This will leave you a smooth top to frost.
- Frost cake on top and sides. Sprinkle top with toasted coconut. Place small candy eggs around base. Then top with several candy eggs on top.
- Store in refrigerator. Take out about 30 minutes prior to serving.