Easy to make & easy to clean up, this one skillet cheesy ham potato bake is a hearty meal that everyone will love. Potatoes, ham and asparagus are covered with cheese to bring you a deliciously complete dinner in one pan.
I can’t make up my mind whether this is a hearty breakfast or a light dinner? We’ve had it for both and it’s delicious either way! Maybe that makes it a breakner or dinfast. lol
I love to make one skillet meals too. Not only are they delicious, like our One Skillet Shepherds Pie or Bacon Mac & Cheese Skillet with Chicken, but clean up is a breeze! This One Skillet Cheesy Ham Potato Bake is no exception. It’s kind of like a cross between a crustless quiche and a potato based mac and cheese. It’s a great way to use up leftover ham and gives you plenty of cheesy goodness that’s hard to pass up.
It’s also great to freeze in squares for on-the-go breakfasts. Just reheat in the microwave for about 3 minutes and you’ve got a hot breakfast in no time.
Having it for dinner? Add a side salad or veggie and a loaf of french bread to complete the meal.
Here’s all you have to do. Take a look and tell me this isn’t easy?!
Saute onions and peppers in large cast iron skillet.
Mix all remaining ingredients together in a large bowl.
Pour into the same iron skillet. Give it a little stir, sprinkle with cheese and pop in the oven.
40 minutes later you’ve got the perfect hearty breakfast or complete dinner with little cleanup needed.
Time to eat!
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 5 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups spicy hash brown potatoes (I used Simply Potatoes Shredded Southwest style hash browns)
- 1-1/4 cups chopped ham (about 1/2 lb.)
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, cut into 1/2" pcs (use just the tender part)
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup of your favorite milk
- 2-3 Tablespoons fresh basil, chopped (optional)
- Dash of cayenne pepper or 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a 10" iron skillet or other oven-safe skillet. Add onions, red bell pepper and garlic and saute for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients except for Parmesan cheese.
- Pour into skillet.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top & place in oven.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Optionally, after baking, you can place under broiler for a few minutes to brown top. Watch carefully and remove when top is golden.