Easy to make & easy to clean up, this one skillet cheesy ham potato bake is a hearty meal that everyone will love. Potatoes, ham and asparagus are covered with cheese to bring you a deliciously complete dinner in one pan.
I can’t make up my mind whether this is a hearty breakfast or a light dinner? We’ve had it for both and it’s delicious either way! Maybe that makes it a breakner or dinfast. lol
I love to make one skillet meals too. Not only are they delicious, like our One Skillet Shepherds Pie or Bacon Mac & Cheese Skillet with Chicken, but clean up is a breeze! This One Skillet Cheesy Ham Potato Bake is no exception. It’s kind of like a cross between a crustless quiche and a potato based mac and cheese. It’s a great way to use up leftover ham and gives you plenty of cheesy goodness that’s hard to pass up.
It’s also great to freeze in squares for on-the-go breakfasts. Just reheat in the microwave for about 3 minutes and you’ve got a hot breakfast in no time.
Having it for dinner? Add a side salad or veggie and a loaf of french bread to complete the meal.
Here’s all you have to do. Take a look and tell me this isn’t easy?!
Saute onions and peppers in large cast iron skillet.
Mix all remaining ingredients together in a large bowl.
Pour into the same iron skillet. Give it a little stir, sprinkle with cheese and pop in the oven.
40 minutes later you’ve got the perfect hearty breakfast or complete dinner with little cleanup needed.
Time to eat!
ONE SKILLET CHEESY HAM POTATO BAKE
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 5 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups spicy hash brown potatoes (I used Simply Potatoes Shredded Southwest style hash browns)
- 1-1/4 cups chopped ham (about 1/2 lb.)
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, cut into 1/2" pcs (use just the tender part)
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup of your favorite milk
- 2-3 Tablespoons fresh basil, chopped (optional)
- Dash of cayenne pepper or 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a 10" iron skillet or other oven-safe skillet. Add onions, red bell pepper and garlic and saute for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients except for Parmesan cheese.
- Pour into skillet.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top & place in oven.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Optionally, after baking, you can place under broiler for a few minutes to brown top. Watch carefully and remove when top is golden.