Our single crust leftover turkey pot pie combines vegetables, leftover turkey, chicken broth, fat-free half & half & cheese for a delicious & healthier dinner option. Believe me, leftovers never tasted so good!
Do you have turkey for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner too? We do, but I always wonder why there are 2 holidays in a row that turkey is the main meal and then nothing again for a whole year. Go figure!
Even though that's a lot of turkey there are so many delicious things you can do with it. There's turkey tetrazzini, turkey soup and even a turkey pasta skillet. And when you need more comfort food for those cold winter nights, there's this easy and healthier version of a turkey pot pie. Don't have any turkey left over? No problem! Use a small rotisserie chicken - it works just as well and tastes just as delicious.
There's just a few simple steps and you'll have dinner on the table within the hour. You can also prep it the day before and have it on the table in 30! All you have to do is make a basic roux, made of chicken stock and flour, add some frozen veggies, leftover turkey and cheese. Then we cheat and use a refrigerated pie crust or a package of crescent rolls and roll them out to the shape of the baking dish. By covering just the top of the pot pie, instead of top and bottom, it cuts down on the carbs, aka calories, and you won't even miss the extra crust.
It's a warm delicious dinner contained all in one dish. Serve with a side salad or some applesauce. They won't believe it's leftovers!
Enjoy & Happy New Year! Wishing you the best 2018 & looking forward to another year of sharing quick & easy, sometimes healthy and always delicious recipes with you.
EASY LEFTOVER TURKEY POT PIE
- 1-2 Tablespoons bacon fat or olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- ⅓ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ⅔ cup milk or fat-free half & half
- 2 cups turkey, chopped (or 1 small rotisserie chicken)
- ½ cup Parmesan or pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- Single pie crust (from refrigerated section of your grocer)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 8x11-inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- In a large skillet, heat bacon fat or olive oil.
- Add garlic, celery, onion and bell pepper and cook over medium heat until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in frozen peas and carrots.
- Whisk in flour and seasoning. Slowly whisk in chicken broth and milk. Continue stirring until mixture comes to a simmer and thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in turkey (or chicken) and cheese.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Roll our pie crust into shape of your baking dish and place on top of chicken mixture. Seal at edges and cut slits in top of crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until crust is brown and filling is bubbly. If crust begins to brown too early, cover loosely with foil.
- Cool slightly before serving.