Don't let these vegetable egg rolls fool you! They're easy to make starting with packaged broccoli carrot slaw, some fresh ginger, soy sauce and store-bought egg roll wrappers. And you just gotta dip them in my easy sweet chili sauce. The perfect party appetizer or a side for your favorite Chinese meal.
I know everyone is thinking about Thanksgiving and what they will fix for the big day but I also know that you can get tired of turkey this and turkey that, so here's something to break up the monotony.
I always thought egg rolls would be difficult to make as they are such perfect little packets of goodness and fried to a golden brown but it turned out that these particular vegetable egg rolls are easier than they look. These little beauties are perfect for vegetarian diets or just for those wanting to add as an appetizer before a meaty meal.
Of course, you can also add some finely chopped pork or shrimp to them to put them over the top. And they can also be served as appetizers for a party by making them smaller bu cutting them in half or using wonton wrappers. Be sure to serve them with my awesome sweet chili sauce for dipping.
Pair with these Asian-flavored favorites
Grilled Asian Style Pork Loin
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive a free e-book.
Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced garlic or 3 large garlic cloves
- 2 Serrano peppers with or without seeds depending on how hot you like it
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ cup + 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 inch fresh ginger grated
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 green onions sliced thin
- 1 small red pepper julienned
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoon Tamari soy sauce gluten-free
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 ½ cup broccoli/carrot slaw
- 1-2 Tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 10 egg roll wrappers cover with damp kitchen towel to keep flexible(gluten-free options are usually made of rice paper)
Sweet Chili Sauce
- Puree garlic, peppers, vinegar, sugar , salt and ¾ cup water in blender.
- Pour into small saucepan and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch with remaining 2 tablespoons water until smooth. Whisk into blended mixture and simmer for 1-2 minutes or until sauce starts to thicken.
- Let cool and store in resealable glass jar in refrigerator.
- In a large skillet over high heat, heat 2 tablespoons oil and stir fry ginger and garlic for a few seconds then add green onion and red pepper cooking for 2 more minutes.
- Combine chicken broth, Tamari soy sauce, sugar and slaw. Add to skillet and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in sesame oil, remove from heat and let cool for 30 minutes. Strain to remove excess liquid.
- Arrange an egg roll wrapper in front of you so that it looks like a diamond. Fill the lower third with about ¼ cup of vegetable mixture. Roll the corner nearest you in one turn then turn in the sides. Roll the rest of the way so that it looks like a log. Place a little water on the edge and press to seal. Cover with damp towel. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
- Clean out the large skillet. Set over medium high heat and add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. When heated, fry egg rolls until browned on all sides, about 5-7 minutes.