These easy-to-make Chicken Taquitos are creamy and delicious. They’re baked not fried & go together quickly for a tasty lunch, dinner or game day appetizer.
I love the second Monday of every month! That’s when we get to share a fellow food blogger’s recipe, like the Chicken Taquitos I have for you today, through our Secret Recipe Club group. If you haven’t been following my blog you might not know what SRC is. It’s a group of terrific foodies that are given a member’s food blog in secret (kind of like a Secret Santa) where we learn a little about the blogger themselves, choose any recipe from their site, prepare it and blog about it.
This month I got Amy’s blog, a wife and stay-at-home mother of two, a Zumba instructor, and chief, cook and photographer at Amy’s Cooking Adventures! Amy became interested in cooking when she realized that, now that her son was old enough to eat table food, creating healthy family meals needed to become a priority. She has learned to enjoy cooking & taking risks in the kitchen, with the encouragement of her husband, (reminds me of my husband) and has also found that what she really enjoys is baking. She even has another site called Amy’s Confectionery Adventures! Wow! Now that is someone with true dedication – raising a family AND running two blogs! Way to go Amy!
While looking through her site for something to make it was hard to make a decision. I wanted to make her Salted Caramel Brownies and Bacon Shortbread Cookies (because I’ve always wanted to try a sweet with bacon in it) but I had just finished making Chocolate Poke Cake and Grasshopper Pie and we were all “sweeted” out. Then I came across her Hummus Chicken Salad (which I would have chosen) and her Creamy Chicken Taquitos and gave my husband a choice of which he would rather have. You guessed it, Chicken Taquitos it was!
What I liked about this recipe was, number one, that it was baked, and number two, that it was really quick & easy to make. I changed her recipe up just a little to save time by using a prepared rotisserie chicken from the store. Other than that I kept it the same and it won high marks from my husband (and me too)! It is perfect for lunch or dinner and I know I’ll be using it as an appetizer come game time in the fall. Thanks for the delicious recipe Amy!
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken, about 1 rotisserie chicken
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened (I used the 1/3 less fat cream cheese & it worked great)
- 1/4 cup fresh salsa
- 1 lime, juiced (about 2 Tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, about 2 cloves
- 3 Tablespoons onion, diced
- 1 cup shredded Mexican Cheese
- 8 small fresh flour tortillas
- Cooking spray
- Coarse sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine everything up to the tortillas. Mix well.
- To assemble: Fill 1 tortilla with 3 tablespoons of filling along the center. Leave a little room at one end to fold up. Fold up one end then roll tightly around filling. Place on prepared cookie sheet, seam side down. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Spray all tortillas lightly with vegetable cooking spray. Grind coarse salt over the top.
- Bake 20-22 minutes or until tortillas are lightly browned.
- Serve with extra salsa and guacamole.