This Taco Tortilla Stack is like a delicious cheesy Mexican Lasagna. Layers of spicy ground beef, creamy guacamole, and ooey gooey melty cheese are sandwiched between tortillas then baked in the oven. This taco lasagna is easy to put together with little clean-up and makes the perfect weeknight dinner for the whole family.
Are you crazy in love with Mexican food? How about easy to make and easy to clean up? Well then have I got the recipe for you!
I'm a Mexican food lover and could eat it every day of the week. The first time I made this Taco Tortilla Stack I used leftover taco ingredients. My husband and I both loved it so much that I continue to make it at least once every month.
This taco stack goes together very quickly after the ground beef is cooked. And if you use a packaged guacamole and shredded cheese it goes together even faster!
It's just a matter of stacking all the ingredients, sandwiched by flour tortillas, although corn can be used if you need a gluten-free version, and then baking.
It's a glorious mixture of spicy beef and beans, creamy guacamole, and plenty of cheese. This is comfort food at its best and absolutely perfect when served with an icy margarita! 🙂
Exchange the ground beef for shredded chicken or ground turkey.
Need to be gluten-free? Change out the flour tortillas for corn tortillas.
Use refried beans in place of black beans.
Add corn and/or sliced peppers to the mix for an added veggie.
Timesavers include packaged shredded Mexican blend cheese or shredding a block of cheddar or Monterey Jack. Using refrigerated packaged guacamole in lieu of making your own.
Don’t have taco seasoning? Make your own. Here’s a great recipe to check out from Gimme Some Oven.
Vary the heat by using a mild salsa for the least spice or up to a hot salsa for those that like heat.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked ground beef, drained and rinsed black beans and your favorite salsa. (photo 1)
- Sprinkle taco seasoning over all and mix well. (photo 2)
Lay the first tortilla in the bottom of a cake pan or springform pan that has been sprayed with a nonstick spray. (photo 3)
Spoon half of the cooked ground beef mixture on top of the tortilla. (photo 4)
Lay a tortilla on top of ground beef and spread with guacamole. I like to make my own. You can make my homemade guacamole recipe, or purchase your favorite readymade. (photo 5)
Lay a tortilla over guacamole then sprinkle with half the cheese. (photo 6)
Top with another tortilla and spoon remaining ground beef mixture on top. (photo 7)
Lay the final tortilla on top. (photo 8)
Cover the taco stack with aluminum foil and bake. (photo 9)
Remove from oven and take off the foil. Sprinkle on remaining cheese on top and bake for 5 minutes more or until all the cheese is nice and melted. I like to place mine under the broiler for a few minutes to brown the cheese. (photo 10)
Just look at that cheesy meaty taco stack just waiting to be eaten! (photo 11)
If you love tacos and all things Mexican, you'll love this easy-to-make, easy-to-cleanup, weeknight dinner tortilla bake. It takes just 15 minutes of prep and can even be made with leftovers from your taco night.
It has a zingy flavor, is plenty filling, and tastes great when served with sides of shredded lettuce, sour cream, a sprinkle of cilantro and green onions, and a slice of lime. Enjoy!
Baked Huevos Rancheros is perfect for breakfast or brunch.
Taco Roll is great for a party. It's savory monkey bread with Mexican flavors.
Chipotle Chicken Quesadillas are a tasty appetizer or light dinner.
Grilled Corn on the Cob with Parmesan Chili Butter.
Find lots of easy Mexican recipes here on 2CM!
Taco Tortilla Stack
- 1 pound ground beef
- 15 oz can black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 cup salsa mild, medium or hot
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 5 round flour tortillas best size to fit your cake pan or springform pan
- 1 cup guacamole
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese
- Garnish: chopped cilantro sliced green onions, chopped lettuce, black olives, sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a springform or round cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cook ground beef in large saucepan over medium-high heat until done. Drain fat.
- Pour beef into a large bowl. Add black beans, salsa and taco seasoning. Mix well.
- Have guacamole, shredded cheese and tortillas easily accessible.
- Lay the first tortilla in the bottom of the pan.
- Spoon half of the cooked ground beef mixture on top of the tortilla. Top with a tortilla.
- Spread tortilla with all of the guacamole. Top with another tortilla.
- Sprinkle with half of the shredded cheese. Top with another tortilla.
- Spoon the remaining ground beef mixture on top. Lay final tortilla on top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, top with remaining cheese and bake for 5 minutes more or until all the cheese is nice and melted. Optionally, you can also place under broiler for a few minutes to brown the cheese.
- Remove from pan and cut into wedges sprinkled with chopped cilantro, sliced green onions and a dollop of sour cream.
- Exchange the ground beef for shredded chicken or ground turkey.
- Need to be gluten-free? Change out the flour tortillas for corn tortillas.
- Use refried beans in place of black beans.
- Add corn and/or sliced peppers to the mix for an added veggie.
- Time savers include packaged shredded Mexican blend cheese or shredding a block of cheddar or Monterey Jack. Using refrigerated packaged guacamole in lieu of making your own.
- Don’t have taco seasoning? Make your own. Here’s a great recipe to check out from Gimme Some Oven.
- Vary the heat by using a mild salsa for the least spice or up to a hot salsa for those that like heat.
This post has been updated and was first published on March 29, 2020.