Taco Stuffed peppers are a healthy and low carb way to get your taco fix. All your favorite taco fixins like beef, spice, refried beans & cheese stuffed into colorful peppers.
Tacos are one of my favorite meals but, when you are watching your carbs and calorie intake, not always the ideal meal to have. Enter our low carb Taco Stuffed Peppers!
This dish can be cooked up in one skillet then baked in a baking dish making cleanup a relative breeze.
They are also great when you need dinner on the table quickly. I don't have time or the inclination to make an elaborate meal so whipping something up in 10-15 minutes at the end of a long day is ideal.
This taco dish has all your favorite fixins like ground beef, refried bean, tomatoes and cheese. Add a little rice or quinoa then stuff into brightly colored bell peppers. Not only are they pretty but delicious too!
So, just how easy are they to make? First saute onions and garlic in a large skillet. Add beef until cooked through.
Stir in remaining ingredients.
Cut the tops off peppers (cut the good portion from around stem and place in baggie in refrigerator to use for omelets in the morning) and remove seeds.
Stuff with fillings. Place in baking dish with ½ cup water and cover with aluminum foil.
Bake for 30 minutes, sprinkle with cheese and broil until cheese is melted and nicely browned.
Time for dinner!
Take a bite! Taco flavors explode in your mouth! And all that ooey, gooey cheese... now I'm hungry!
These stuffed peppers are so yummy and a great low carb meal when subbing quinoa for rice. I like to serve mine as is or with a small side salad.
TACO STUFFED PEPPERS
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1-¼ pounds ground beef
- ¼ cup taco seasoning
- 1 cup cooked quinoa or rice
- 10 oz can any flavor Rotel (I like the Diced Tomatoes with lime juice & cilantro)
- ½ can refried black beans or regular refried beans can also be used
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated, divided
- 6 red, yellow, orange or green bell peppers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, heat oil, then saute onions and garlic for 3-5 minutes.
- Add meat to skillet along with taco seasoning and cook until meat is done.
- Remove from heat and add quinoa or rice, Rotel, refried beans and ½ cup cheddar cheese.Remove seeds.
- Stir well.
- Wash peppers and cut top off just below stem.
- Stand in a baking dish, cutting off a little of bottom so that they stay upright. Do not cut through to cavity of pepper.
- Fill with taco mixture.
- Pour ½ cup water into bottom of baking dish then cover peppers with aluminum foil.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, take off foil, and sprinkle remaining ½ cup cheese over top of each pepper.
- Place under broiler until cheese is melted and turns a golden brown.