Black Forest Crisp is a quick & easy cake that can be made in minutes. Just 6 ingredients & one pan yields a delicious crispy chocolate cake over a gooey cherry-pineapple-coconut filling. Great for holiday entertaining!
I love looking through food magazines and, at one time, before internet, yes I was around before the internet, I used to tear recipes that I liked out of magazines and put them into a three-ring binder. Needless to say, I really don't need these any longer but some of the photographs and ideas are so ingenious that I just can't bear to toss them.
So you're probably wondering what all this has to do with today's Black Forest Crisp recipe. Well, this recipe is over 20 years old and was found in an old Southern Living magazine. They didn't have a picture of it but, when I made it the first time, the ease with which this came together and the incredible taste it had all made it a winner in my book.
It has only 6 ingredients, most of which are already proportioned out for you (due to package size) and is made in the baking pan so ... that means hardly any cleanup. Now isn't that the best of both worlds, a scrumptious hard to resist dessert and almost non-existent clean up. Woohoo!
This is the perfect dessert to serve company during the holiday season. It is delicious served warm with vanilla ice cream on top and maybe, shhhh, just maybe, some chocolate syrup. And, needless to say, it's just as good served cold where the cake takes on a crispy texture (hence the name) and, yep, I still put the ice cream on top. 🙂 It's all ooey, gooey incredible!
If you love quick desserts like this Black Forest Crisp, and need help to get through the holidays, check out our 2-Ingredient Black Cherry Brownies, Mandarin Orange Cake and Fruit Cocktail Cake too.
EASY ONE PAN BLACK FOREST CRISP
- 1 21-oz can cherry pie filling (I like to use organic)
- 1 8-½-oz can crushed pineapple, undrained
- ½ cup sliced almonds toasted, see note for how to toast
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 package (about 18-oz) devil's food cake mix
- ½ - ¾ cup butter, sliced thin so covers entire surface of cake mix
- Garnish: powdered sugar, vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup, whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9" x 13" pan with nonstick spray.
- Pour cherry pie filling in bottom of pan and smooth into single layer.
- Pour undrained pineapple over cherry pie filling, making sure to cover entire surface.
- Evenly sprinkle almonds over top, followed by chocolate chips and, finally, coconut.
- Sprinkle cake mix over fillings making sure to cover completely.
- Dot with thin slices of butter, making sure entire cake mix layer is covered.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve warm or wait until cool and crisp & sprinkle with a little powdered sugar. Top with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream and a drizzle of chocolate syrup.