Bake up this deliciously easy Fruit Cocktail Cake for the holiday weekend. A sweet cake with a crunchy topping of pecans and coconut that takes only 10 minutes to whip up. Great as is or served with a scoop of your favorite ice cream.
I love easy recipes and especially with a holiday just around the corner. With everything else there is to do, an easy dessert recipe is the perfect addition to the party.
This Fruit Cocktail Cake dessert recipe has been hanging around in my recipe box, you know, that box that holds all the old 3x5 handwritten cards, (and yes I still have one) for years and I had forgotten all about it. When I found it again I remembered how super delicious it was and decided to share it with y'all.
It is mostly a one bowl cake except for the 5 minutes it takes to make the custardy top. It can be ready to go in under an hour, which includes the 40 minute cooking time. It can be served warm, with ice cream on top (just sayin') or cool. Either way it's just as gooey and yummy.
To start, take a large bowl and add all the cake ingredients. Pour into a large baking dish.
Sprinkle a combination of brown sugar and pecans on top.
To finish, cook up a butter, sugar and evaporated milk mixture for 5 minutes and pour on top. That's it!
Bake it and watch how the top becomes a crunchy, sweet and nutty bite of goodness.
I sent the cake into work with my husband and it got a 5 star rating from the crew. Want a taste? Whip it up for this holiday weekend and watch how fast it goes.
If you like quick & easy desserts you've got to try our Chocolate Magic Cake, Banana Crunch Cake and One Bowl Surprise Cake.
QUICK & EASY FRUIT COCKTAIL CAKE
- 2 cups flour
- 1-½ cups sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 15 oz can fruit cocktail, not drained
- ½ cup coconut
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup pecans
- 1 stick, ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- ½ cup pecans
- Garnish: Confectioner's sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine all cake ingredients and stir well.
- Pour into a 9x13-inch ungreased baking dish.
- Sprinkle pecan topping, first brown sugar followed by pecans, on top of cake ingredients.
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter, sugar and evaporated milk then allow to boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla extract, coconut and pecans.
- Pour mixture evenly over pecan topping.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Allow to cool on wire rack.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.
Leave a Reply