This delicious and easy Mandarin Orange Cake is the perfect summer dessert! Sweet mandarin oranges delicately flavor a boxed cake mix & crushed pineapple added to Cool Whip adds a sweet whipped frosting that complements the citrusy cake.
I love baking but sometimes the summer heat here in Florida is just a little too much for the air conditioner to handle. In that case, when I need to make a dessert for company, I fall back on something simple, quick and easy.
All you need is a large bowl, your favorite yellow boxed cake mix, eggs, oil and a large can of mandarin oranges. Don’t you just love those little sweet bites of sweetness?! I can still remember when I was little, Mom used to give my sister and I mandarin oranges for a summer treat. I thought they were as good as candy as they were cool, sweet & super juicy. I still love them to this day, so adding them to a cake seemed like a no-brainer.
It takes less than 10 minutes to gather the ingredients for the cake and whip them together. Then just pour in a pan and bake.
While the cake is cooling you can make the whipped pineapple frosting. This is even easier to pull together than the cake! Just Cool Whip, a large package of vanilla instant pudding and a large can of crushed pineapple in heavy syrup. Mix it up, yep that’s all there is to it, and you’re ready to frost your cake. I love how light and airy this frosting is compared to the cake. It seems to complement the citrusy cake with its own touch of tropical flavor.
Now pop it in the refrigerator and wait an hour or so while the frosting sets. It tastes great even without cooling it, I know, I know, I just couldn’t wait, but it’s even better after letting it set. OK, now bring on the company! Oh, just look at all that deliciousness!
Go on take a bite! Ummm, the perfect cool summer dessert. I’ll just bet this Mandarin Orange Cake will become a favorite of yours too. Enjoy!
- 1 yellow cake mix
- 3/4 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 11 oz can mandarin oranges, not drained
- 8 oz container Cool Whip
- 3.4 oz vanilla instant pudding (dry)
- 20 oz can crushed pineapple in heavy syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray the bottom of an 8x11-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl combine cake mix, oil, eggs and mandarin oranges. Beat for 1-2 minutes or until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack.
In a large bowl, combine Cool Whip, dry vanilla instant pudding and crushed pineapple.
- Fold all ingredients together until combined.
- When cake is cool, spread whipped frosting over top of cake.
- Chill several hours prior to serving.
Love desserts as much as I do? Check out our Delectable Desserts group Pinterest board with so many mouth-watering choices you’ll be drooling before you know it!