Chicken and Tortellini Skillet combines everyone's favorites, chicken, pasta and cheese. A quick & easy dinner that's made all in one skillet that is both healthy and satisfying. It's sure to please everyone in the family!
I don't know about you but anything I can do to make life a little easier is way up at the top of my list. And making an easy dinner after a hard day is sure to be on that list. I am always on the lookout for quick but healthy dinner solutions that are relatively easy and have minimal clean up and sometimes I hit on the perfect combination. I've made other quick dinners such as Cajun Shrimp & Quinoa Skillet, Italian Chicken Noodle Casserole and Italian Pork Chops but this dish would definitely win, hands down!
What makes it so simple is the fact that it can all be made in one pan. Of course, the use of prepared products such as fresh tortellini, chicken stock, canned diced tomatoes and frozen peas are a busy person's dream. I can't imagine what I would do without them! I also know that purchasing frozen peas and diced tomatoes are as good as fresh as long as they are additive free and low in salt so I can feel good about what I am feeding my family.
Another trick to making this dish a healthier option is substituting Greek yogurt for cream, much lower in fat and its probiotic content will aid digestion. Hey, I'm all about feeling comfortable after dinner. Want to speed it up even more? Chop your onion and peppers as soon as you get home from the market then store them in a resealable baggie - easy peasy! It will save you so much time making breakfasts or dinners during the work week and it sure makes this dish a breeze to pull together.
Hope you enjoy!
CHICKEN and TORTELLINI SKILLET
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 red & 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 28 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cubed then seasoned with salt & pepper
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 9 oz fresh spinach cheese tortellini or your favorite
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese, shredded (a low-fat variety will cut down on calories)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large oven-proof skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Saute onion and peppers until golden brown.
- Turn heat down to medium and add tomatoes. Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Add chicken, cover and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for cheese.
- Place skillet in oven and bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle top with cheese and return to oven for an additional 10 minutes.
- If you like your cheese a little browner on top, place under broiler for a few minutes. Watch carefully so as not to burn.
Recipe adapted from one found on Roxana's Home Baking.