Poke cakes are one of the simplest desserts to make yet elegant enough to serve to company. This Chocolate Poke Cake starts out with a boxed chocolate cake mix which is filled with white chocolate cream then topped off with a chocolate whipped cream. It’s a chocolate lovers dream come true!
Hopefully I’m not the only one that has never made a poke cake. I really didn’t even know what a poke cake was until I looked it up. It seems a poke cake is a regular cake, usually made in a sheet pan, that you poke holes in then fill with anything ranging from pudding to jello, chocolate to cream. You allow it to seep into the holes then frost the cake as usual.
This seemed like a pretty clever way to flavor a cake, I mean I’ve made a Dark Chocolate Cheesecake with liqueur and a Lava Cake with liquid chocolate, but this seemed pretty cool to me. All I had to decide was what flavor of cake I would make and what I would fill it with. Well, duh, chocolate cake has got to be my number one choice, after all, who doesn’t crave chocolate all the time? (or is that just me?)
Next, I decided that just a chocolate cake wouldn’t do but a chocolate cake filled with white chocolate would be awesome. Of course, I couldn’t stop there – I flavored whipped cream with dark chocolate and used that for the frosting. Oh, I’m dying here knowing that I shouldn’t have a piece but really eyeing the couple pieces that are left. Stop me, please!
I did make this cake with a purpose in mind. My nephew was coming over to say goodbye, as he was moving back to Michigan, so I had to make him something special. I made one of his favorite dinners, my homemade pizza, and served it with this chocolate heaven on a plate (and topped it with vanilla bean ice cream – after all, why not?). He approved!
I wholeheartedly endorse this cake as one of the easiest cakes to make for company. Try it and see using your favorite cake and filling. And, when you hit on your favorite combination, send us a photo and we’ll share it. Enjoy!
CHOCOLATE POKE CAKE
- 1 boxed devil's food cake mix (I used Pillsbury Moist Supreme)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (or as called for on box)
- 3 eggs (or as called for on box)
Cream for filling
- 14- oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 container Cool Whip
- 4- oz dark chocolate
- 1 bag mini chocolate chips,chocolate shavings or colored sprinkles (optional)
- Bake cake as directed on package for a 9x13-inch pan.
- Let cool for 5 minutes then poke holes over entire cake, spacing about 1" apart, using the back of a wooden spoon.
- Place condensed milk and white chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Melt in 30 second increments, stirring in-between, until chocolate has melted. Whisk in milk.
- Pour immediately onto cake, making sure holes are filled. Let cake cool.
- Once cool, place in refrigerator for about 1 hour. Remove from refrigerator and make frosting.
- To make frosting, melt dark chocolate in microwave-safe bowl in 30 second increments, stirring in-between, until chocolate has melted. Stir into Cool Whip. Frost cake then cover with mini chocolate chips or sprinkle with chocolate shavings or colored sprinkles.
- Store in refrigerator.