This Chocolate Brown Sugar Bundt Cake with Cheesecake Swirl is a rich, dense chocolate cake with a surprise inside. Sweet cheesecake swirls in oranges, green, purple and white decorate the dark chocolate color while a white chocolate glaze completes this chocolate lovers dream dessert. Perfect for Halloween or change the colors and use for Christmas, Easter or patriotic holidays. I received samples of Imperial Sugar, both light brown and confectioners sugar, which I used to make this dessert. All opinions expressed here are 100% my own.
It’s nearing the end of #Chotoberfest and I hope you’ve had a chance to see all the delicious recipes over 100 food bloggers have been creating for you all week. And, of course, you’ve already entered the sweetest giveaway worth over $400, right? If you haven’t, there’s still time. Just go to the end of this post, enter, then come back and check out this awesome cake.
For those of you that have been drooling over all the decadent deliciousness all week, let me ask you this. Have you had enough chocolate yet? Nope, me either! So today I’ve got a little more classic Halloween dessert for a party rather than my slightly macabre Halloween Chocolate Cookie Shots I made earlier in the week– a Chocolate Brown Sugar Bundt Cake with a little surprise inside.
I’ve never tried making a brown sugar cake before but I heard that they were dense, rich and moist so I decided to give it a whirl. (haha, that’s what’s inside, well you’ll see) It was also the perfect opportunity to use Imperial Sugar’s Light Brown Sugar.
There’s never too much sweetness!
I love to use Imperial’s line of high-quality sugar products because I know they are 100% pure cane sugar, non-GMO and have stood the test of time. They are actually celebrating their 175th birthday this year. I haven’t used them for that long but Imperial sugar has become my go-to for making all my family favorites. Happy Birthday Imperial!
Back to the cake! I found a recipe I liked from Handle The Heat and adapted it to fit the occasion. I doubled the cheesecake filling (I mean, who wouldn’t) and topped it with a white chocolate glaze. This Chocolate Brown Sugar Bundt Cake with Cheesecake Swirl takes a little time but it turns out so chocolaty, rich and delicious with bright pops of color that you’ll want to make it more often. I’m already thinking red & white peppermint cheesecake filling for Christmas and pastel colors for Easter.
Follow these steps for this spectacular Chocolate Brown Sugar Bundt Cake.
- Combine cream cheese, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and flour. Beat til creamy.
- Divide into 4 bowls and color with your favorite Halloween gel food coloring. I chose purple, orange, green and left some white. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine chopped chocolate, cocoa powder and espresso powder.
- Add boiling water and cover so that it will melt.
- Whisk in flour, baking soda and salt.
- Let cool while you make the brown sugar batter then whisk the sour cream and extract into the chocolate.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and Imperial brown sugar together for 5 minutes so that it's light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time.
- Continue beating while alternately adding dry ingredients and chocolate mixture. Beat until smooth.
Now comes the fun part!
- Pour half the cake batter into bottom of well greased and floured bundt pan.
- Scoop dollops of different colored cheesecake batter on top.
- Swirl lightly then carefully pour remaining cake batter on top.
- Let cool for 10 minutes in pan then invert and remove cake to wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the chocolate glaze by whisking melted white chocolate chips with cream and Imperial's confectioner's sugar until smooth.
- Pour over cake and immediately add sprinkles.
The sprinkles are optional but I think they really add a little pizazz to the finished cake.
Doesn’t it look awesome with that white chocolate glaze and all those cool sprinkles? And wait til you cut into it. Swirls of purple, orange and green cheesecake run throughout the dense chocolate cake and give it that perfect Halloween feel.
Now take a bite? You get the rich taste of dark chocolate and creamy, tangy cheesecake and a hint of smooth white chocolate. Believe me, this is going to get oohs and ahhhs all night.
CHOCOLATE BROWN SUGAR BUNDT CAKE WITH CHEESECAKE SWIRL
- 16 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon & 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 6 oz chocolate bar I used 72% cocoa content bar, chopped fine
- 1 Tablesppon espresso powder
- ¾ cup water
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream room temperature
- ¾ cup butter room temperature
- 2 cups Imperial light brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs room temperature
White Chocolate Glaze
- ¾ cup white chocolate chips
- 3-4 Tablespoons whipping cream or half-n-half
- ¾ cup Imperial powdered sugar
- Garnish: sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bundt pan with Crisco or other shortening and dust with flour. Make sure that every groove in the pan has been covered.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar until well blended and sugar has dissolved.
- Continue beating while adding eggs, vanilla and flour.
- Divide into 4 portions. Add the food coloring to 3 of them and leave one plain (in other words, white). Stir well.
- In a 2-cup microwave-safe measuring cup, combine chopped chocolate, dark cocoa powder and espresso powder.
- Bring water to a boil and pour over chocolate mixture. Cover for at least 5 minutes or until chocolate is melted.
- Whisk in flour, salt and baking soda.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, cream the brown sugar and butter until light and fluffy, about 5-7 minutes.
- Continue beating while adding eggs, one at a time.
- Now that chocolate mixture is cooler, whisk in sour cream and vanilla extract.
- Add chocolate mixture to creamed sugar mixture alternately with flour. Blend until smooth.
- Pour half the cake mixture into prepared bundt pan.
- Put dollops of different colors of cheesecake on top of cake batter.
- Take a sharp knife and swirl colors.
- Spoon remaining cake mixture on top of cheesecake.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out almost clean. You don’t want the cake to be too done and dry out.
- Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 10 minutes. When ready to remove the cake, place a wire rack over the top of the cake and holding both the bottom and top racks, invert cake. Remove cake pan and invert back. Let cool completely.
White Chocolate Glaze
- Place white chocolate chips and 3 Tablespoon of cream in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second-increments, stirring in-between, until chocolate has melted, usually 60-75 seconds total.
- Whisk in powdered sugar until smooth. If the glaze seems to thick to pour, add another tablespoon of cream.
- Pour glaze over cooled bundt cake and immediately add sprinkles. Sprinkles are optional.