This Coffee Old Fashioned is a sophisticated twist on the classic cocktail. It combines the smooth warm flavors of bourbon and kicks it up with the rich coffee vibes of Kahlua. Served over ice, it's a refined blend of bold and rich, perfect for the coffee lover in all of us.
Table of Contents
Coffee cocktails, whether made with actual coffee or coffee liqueur, bring a delightful blend of flavors that cater to both coffee enthusiasts and cocktail lovers. The combination of these flavors creates a drink that is the perfect balance between bitter and sweet and takes your favorite cup of Joe to the next level.
Think Espresso Martinis that provide a decided kick or the comforting vibes of a Kahlua Hot Chocolate that brings delicious coffee flavor to your favorite cup of hot cocoa. Whether you're chilling with an Irish Coffee on a cold winter’s night or diving into the cozy warmth of a Coffee Old Fashioned, these drinks take your coffee experience to a whole new level - bold, fun, and seriously tasty.
What is a Classic Old Fashioned Cocktail?
The Classic Old Fashioned stands tall in the cocktail world, embodying the quintessential characteristics of a traditional cocktail. Its roots stretch back into history, with its very name echoing its longstanding heritage; it's a drink crafted in a time-honored manner.
The preparation of this revered cocktail typically involves gently muddling sugar, occasionally in cube form, with a touch of water and a few dashes of bitters. After the sugar is fully dissolved, ice is introduced, followed by the chosen spirit. The cocktail is then methodically stirred until it is perfectly diluted.
To complete the experience, a twist of citrus peel, usually from an orange or lemon, is added. This garnish releases a burst of essential oils that skim across the surface of the drink, imparting a tantalizing aroma and a nuanced flavor layer.
Throughout its history, the Old Fashioned has undergone various interpretations, modifications, and renaissances, yet its fundamental character remains intact. It stands as a symbol of the enduring appeal of classic flavors.
Expertly crafted, this cocktail strikes an exquisite balance between sweetness, bitterness, and the rich depth of the alcohol, securing its place as a beloved choice among cocktail aficionados worldwide.
Why You'll Love This Old Fashioned with Coffee
This unique twist on the Old Fashioned cocktail introduces the rich, deep flavors of coffee, creating a blend that is sure to captivate your palate. Here’s why you’ll fall in love with this Coffee Old Fashioned:
- Innovative Flavor Profile: Combining the classic taste of a bourbon-based Old Fashioned with the robust notes of Kahlua coffee liqueur, this cocktail offers an innovative and sophisticated flavor profile. The coffee adds a bold, aromatic quality that complements the sweetness of the bourbon and the brown sugar syrup.
- Perfect Balance: The addition of brown sugar simple syrup brings a smooth, caramel-like sweetness that perfectly balances the bitterness of the coffee and the tang of the orange bitters. This harmony of flavors creates a cocktail experience that is both complex and perfectly balanced.
- Aromatic Complexity: The garnish of coffee beans and orange peel not only adds visual appeal but also introduces a layer of aromatic complexity. As you sip, you're greeted with the inviting aromas of fresh coffee and zesty orange, enhancing the overall sensory experience.
- A Twist on Tradition: For those who appreciate the classic Old Fashioned but are eager to explore new variations, this coffee-infused version offers an exciting twist. It pays homage to the traditional recipe while boldly venturing into new territory, making it a must-try for enthusiasts and novices alike.
A Coffee Old Fashioned is not just a cocktail; it's an experience. It's a journey through rich flavors and enticing aromas that promises to make a lasting impression on anyone who tries it. Whether you’re a seasoned cocktail aficionado or new to the world of mixed drinks, this coffee-infused Old Fashioned is a delightful exploration of taste and tradition.
Here's what you need to make this coffee old fashioned recipe. The exact measurements are in the printable recipe card below.
- Kahlua Coffee Liqueur
- Brown Sugar Simple Syrup
- Orange Bitters
- Coffee Beans
- Orange Peel
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
Creating the perfect Coffee Old Fashioned allows for some flexibility in ingredients, ensuring you can tailor the drink to your taste or make use of what's available. Here are some notes and suggestions for substitutions:
Bourbon: The soul of any Old Fashioned, bourbon brings a rich, smooth, and slightly sweet profile to the cocktail. If bourbon isn't your preference or isn't available, feel free to substitute with a different type of whiskey. Rye whiskey, for example, offers a spicier and more robust flavor, while Scotch can introduce a smoky element to the drink.
Coffee Liqueur: Kahlua is a popular choice for its sweet and rich coffee flavor, but there are plenty of alternatives for those looking to experiment. Mr. Black Cold Brew Coffee Liqueur offers a more intense coffee flavor with less sweetness, making it ideal for those who prefer a stronger coffee taste. Tia Maria provides a slightly different profile with a Jamaican rum base and a hint of vanilla. For a twist, Patron XO Cafe combines coffee with tequila, adding a unique kick to the cocktail.
Bitters: Orange bitters are a classic choice, adding a citrusy depth to balance the cocktail's sweetness. However, for a more pronounced coffee flavor, consider using coffee bitters. These will enhance the coffee notes in the liqueur, creating a more layered and complex flavor profile.
Sweetener: While brown sugar simple syrup is suggested for its rich, molasses-like sweetness, you can easily substitute it with regular simple syrup, honey syrup, or even maple syrup for a different kind of sweetness.
Garnish: The traditional orange peel garnish works well, but you can also experiment with other citrus peels like lemon or grapefruit for a different aromatic experience.
Remember, the key to a great cocktail is balancing the flavors to your liking. Don't be afraid to tweak the ingredients and ratios to discover your perfect Coffee Old Fashioned.
How to Make a Coffee Old Fashioned
Here are the simple steps for making a Kahlua Old Fashioned:
- Fill a lowball glass with ice. Add the bourbon.
- Top the bourbon with Kahlua for that rich coffee flavor.
- Add brown sugar simple syrup and a few dashes of bitters.
- Stir to chill.
To finish, take a twist of orange peel and squeeze it over the glass, run it around the rim, then drop it into the glass. Sip slowly and enjoy!
While the classic Coffee Old Fashioned is delightful on its own, there's always room for experimentation. Whether you're a coffee aficionado or have a sweet tooth, these variations can add an exciting twist to your cocktail:
Amplify the Coffee Experience:
- Espresso Shot: For a robust coffee kick, add a shot of freshly brewed espresso to your cocktail. This not only intensifies the coffee flavor but also adds a rich, velvety texture.
- Devils River Coffee Bourbon: Swap out traditional bourbon with Devils River Coffee Bourbon. This bourbon, infused with coffee, offers a harmonious blend of whiskey warmth and mellow coffee undertones.
- Jameson Cold Brew Whiskey: Another excellent substitution is Jameson Cold Brew Whiskey. It combines the smooth taste of Jameson with the rich flavor of cold brew coffee, offering a subtle caffeine kick and a unique twist on the classic recipe.
Introduce a Chocolate Twist:
- Chocolate Liqueur: For those who enjoy the combination of coffee and chocolate, adding a splash of chocolate liqueur, like Creme de Cacao, can transform your Old Fashioned. It adds a luxurious chocolatey note that pairs beautifully with the coffee and bourbon flavors.
- Chocolate Bitters: If you prefer just a hint of chocolate, consider using chocolate bitters instead of orange or coffee bitters. This adds a subtle cocoa flavor without overwhelming the cocktail.
Spice It Up:
- Spiced Simple Syrup: Replace the brown sugar simple syrup with a spiced version. Infuse your simple syrup with cinnamon, nutmeg, or vanilla to add a warm, aromatic dimension to your cocktail.
- Pumpkin Spice: Embrace the flavors of the season by adding a teaspoon of pumpkin spice to your cocktail. This is perfect for autumn evenings and adds a festive twist.
Each of these variations offers a unique way to enjoy the classic Coffee Old Fashioned. Whether you're looking for a stronger coffee flavor, a hint of chocolate, a creamy texture, or a seasonal touch, these ideas allow you to customize the cocktail to suit your taste.
How to Serve a Coffee Old Fashioned Cocktail
The Old Fashioned, a timeless cocktail, deserves a presentation that matches its storied history. Here's how to serve it with style and elegance:
Choose the Right Glassware: The ideal vessel for an Old Fashioned is the classic lowball glass, also known as a rocks glass. This stout tumbler, with its broad opening, is perfect not only for savoring the cocktail's rich aromas but also for accommodating the ice and mix, ensuring each sip is well-balanced.
Opt for Large Ice: To maintain the integrity of the drink, consider using a single large ice cube or a spherical ice mold. These bigger pieces of ice melt more slowly, chilling the cocktail consistently without over-diluting it. Plus, they add a touch of elegance to the presentation.
Garnishing with Flair: A twist of orange peel is the hallmark garnish for an Old Fashioned. Twist the peel over the drink to spritz its fragrant oils, then place it in the glass or rest it on the edge. This simple yet crucial step enhances both the aroma and the flavor of the cocktail.
Adjusting to Taste: If the strength of an Old Fashioned is a bit much, or if you prefer a lighter version, feel free to add a splash of club soda or water. This adjustment can mellow the drink’s potency while adding a hint of effervescence or mild dilution.
Remember, crafting cocktails is an individual experience. Feel free to tweak the serving method to suit your taste. The key is to relish both the making and the tasting of your Old Fashioned.
More Bourbon and Whiskey Cocktail Recipes
- Blackberry Bourbon Smash
- Brown Sugar Old Fashioned
- Cinnamon Maple Whiskey Sour
- Cranberry Whiskey Sour
Find lots of easy recipes for cocktails right here on 2CM!
Coffee Old Fashioned
- 1 ½ ounces bourbon
- ½ ounce Kahlua
- ¼ ounce brown sugar simple syrup
- 2 dashes orange bitters
- Garnish: 3 coffee beans orange peel
- Fill a lowball glass with ice.
- Add bourbon, Kahlua, simple syrup and orange bitters. Stir.
- Rub a slice of orange peel around the edge of the glass then twist it above the cocktail and drop in.
- Add 3 coffee beans and serve.