Kahlua Hot Chocolate is the answer to a cold winter's day. And you can curl your hands around a mug of this spiked hot chocolate in a matter of just minutes.
A combination of milk, cocoa powder, a pinch of cinnamon, and vanilla extract is kicked up with a shot of Kahlua for a deliciously rich warmer-upper. Top it with a selection from your own hot chocolate bar and, believe me, it will hit the spot! Non-alcoholic options available.
Nothing tastes better on a cold winter's day or after skating on a frozen pond than a mug of hot chocolate. And, as an adult, a mug of Kahlua Hot Chocolate, hot cocoa with a boozy edge, sounds even better.
I don't know what it is about a hot chocolate that always seems to warm me from the inside out. It might be the richness, the sweetness, or the incredible chocolaty goodness. Maybe it has something to do with the claim that chocolate makes people happier (I've got to agree with that). And to top it all off, this drink is easy to make, takes less than 5 minutes, and gives you time to sit down and relax for a spell.
Alcohol Options for Spiked Hot Chocolate
- Hot Chocolate with Kahlua - is a smooth blend with a subtle coffee flavor and relatively sweet
- Bailey's Hot Chocolate - has a creamy, bright flavor that is slightly fruity and sweet
- Red Wine Hot Chocolate - add one-third to one-half as much red wine to that of milk. Stick to a fruity sweet wine such s Merlot, Zinfandel, Shiraz or Pinto Noir.
- Amaretto Hot Chocolate - bring a touch of almond flavor to the boozy hot chocolate
- Dark Rum - has nuances of oak and vanilla
- Vanilla Vodka - has strong vanilla flavor
- Other options - Rum Chata, Cinnamon Schnapps, Bourbon, Fireball Whiskey
What to Put on a Hot Chocolate Bar
Making a Hot Chocolate Bar gives everyone the option of making their spiked hot chocolate just the way they like it. Plus, the kids can have fun too with all the other fun additives and toppings that are booze-free. Here are some suggestions to get you started.
- Liqueurs - see above
- Chocolate and Caramel Syrups
- Whipped Cream
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Mini Marshmallows
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- Toffee Bits
- Peppermint Chips or Crushed Candy Canes
- Crushed Oreo Cookies
- Cinnamon Sticks
- Coarse Sea Salt
- Pirouette Cookies
How to Make Kahlua Hot Chocolate
- Pour milk into a large mug. Make sure there is plenty of room for stirring and adding your favorite toppings at the end.
- Add the cocoa powder, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg into milk.
- Stir well. Heat in microwave for several minutes or untill hot.
- Pour in Kahlua or other liqueur and vanilla extract.
- Finish by adding your favorite toppings such as whipped cream, chocolate and caramel syrup, mini chocolate chips and, of course, sprinkles!
Doesn't that just make you drool just looking at all that deliciousness? And I'm sure the family would love to join you and whip up their own version of hot chocolate. So what are you waiting for? Run to the kitchen and make a mug of your own! Enjoy!
Alcohol - see above for any number of alcohols that pair well with hot chocolate
Dairy-free - change out the regular milk for any plant-based milk such as almond, oat, or cashew
Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate (perfect for Hot Chocolate Bars) - (for 4) Place 4 cups milk, ¼ cup cocoa powder, ¼ cup sugar, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, and ¼ teaspoon nutmeg in a crockpot. Whisk until well blended then cook for 2-3 hours on low. Just prior to serving, add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and ½ cup Kahlua (omit if giving guests options for liqueurs). Stir well.
More Warm Winter Drinks
Melted Ice Cream Hot Chocolate made with salted caramel ice cream.
Mexican Hot Chocolate with Tequila has a perfect touch of cinnamon with a boozy edge.
Spiked Hot Apple Cider - is a simple but tasty sipper made with apple cider, a clove-studded orange, a dash of spice, and some rum.
S'mores Coffee -brings the flavors of your favorite fireside treat to your cup of coffee.
Find lots of winter cocktails here on 2CM!
Kahlua Hot Chocolate
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder (I like to use special dark cocoa powder)
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 Tablespoons Kahlua
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Garnishes: mini marshmallows, whipped cream, chocolate syrup, caramel syrup, chocolate covered espresso beans
- Pour milk into a microwave-safe mug.
- Stir in cocoa powder, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Place in microwave and heat on high until hot.
- Add Kahlua and vanilla extract and stir well.
- Garnish with mini marshmallows, whipped cream and a chocolate drizzle. Even more decadence - top with a little salted caramel syrup too!
This post has been updated and was first published on January 10, 2018.