This Blackberry Bourbon Smash is a delicious cocktail that puts a twist on the classic bourbon smash. It combines blackberries, bourbon, and lime juice with a hint of mint and a little bubbly for a sweet, tart, and slightly smoky drink. And it’s simple to make—just mix, muddle, and serve!
FYI - This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. All links are products I use when making my recipes.
Table of Contents
- Berry Cocktails
- What is a smash cocktail?
- Why You'll Love This Blackberry Smash
- Equipment Needed
- Best Bourbon for a Smash Cocktail
- How to Make a Blackberry Bourbon Smash
- Ingredient Substitutions for Recipe Variations
- More Fruity Cocktail Recipes
If you think all berry cocktails are weak drinks like wine coolers, then you haven't tried to mix things with bourbon! It's a powerful drink with aromatic fruit that makes it a bit more enjoyable and palatable, even if you aren't sure if you like bourbon or not.
And there are so many ways to make fruity drinks that taste amazing, like a Blackberry Margarita, Blueberry Mojito, and even this snazzy Raspberry Lime Rickey.
What is a smash cocktail?
A smash is a fruity cocktail with fresh fruit and mint that are muddled (smashed) together. A sweetener may be added. Liquor and club soda are added to the smashed fruit and it's served over ice. Other smash cocktails are mint julip and mojito.
Why You'll Love This Blackberry Smash
This blackberry smash is unlike anything else you've ever made before. Sure, it's a delicious cocktail made with fresh berries and bourbon, but it's so much more than that.
This is a drink that you share with friends. It shows off beautifully at parties and is the perfect drink to sip on to celebrate spring or special occasions.
- Fresh mint leaves
- Simple Syrup
- Club Soda
Best Bourbon for a Smash Cocktail
Since this drink has a heavy fruit flavor, it's best to use a lower to moderately-priced bourbon whiskey. Save the expensive one for sipping straight up on on the rocks. Some good choices are:
- Jim Beam
- Knob Creek
- Maker's Mark
- Woodford Reserve
You can also use blackberry whiskey or make blackberry-infused bourbon.
Blackberry Whiskey Brands
- Bird Dog Blackberry Whiskey
- Dr. McGillicuddy's Blackberry Whiskey
- Truckers Blackberry Whiskey
How to Make Blackberry Infused Bourbon
- Place blackberries in a mason jar.
- Use a spoon to smash the berries.
- Add bourbon.
- Tightly cover with a lid.
- Put the jar in a cool, dark place.
- Every day, turn the jar upside down and shake it.
- After 7 days, pour the infused bourbon through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl. Discard the berries.
- Pour the blackberry bourbon back into the jar.
- Store covered tightly in a cool, dark place.
How to Make a Blackberry Bourbon Smash
- Place blackberries, lime wedges, and mint leaves in a cocktail shaker or tall glass.
- Pour in bourbon.
- Add simple syrup.
- Muddle everything together.
- Add ice to cocktail shaker.
- Shake well then strain into glass.
- Top with club soda.
Finish this eye-catching cocktail with extra blackberries and a garnish of mint leaves and a lime wedge. Cheers!
Ingredient Substitutions for Recipe Variations
This berry cocktail is easy to change up and there are so many possibilities. Just substitute one or more of the ingredients to achieve a flavor combination suited to your taste preference. Here are some ideas:
- Blackberries: Blueberries, Raspberries, or Strawberries
- Bourbon: Gin, Rum, Vodka, or Tequila
- Lime: Lemon
- Mint: Basil
- Simple Syrup: Superfine sugar, honey, agave, or maple syrup.
- Club Soda: Lime-flavored carbonated water, sprite, or ginger beer.
- Garnish: Rim the glass with a mixture of sugar and lime zest.
More Fruity Cocktail Recipes
Find lots of delicious cocktail recipes right here on 2CM!
LOVE QUICK & EASY RECIPES? FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK, & PINTEREST FOR ALL THE LATEST RECIPE INSPIRATION! PLUS JOIN MY EMAIL LIST AND RECEIVE A FREE E-BOOK.
Blackberry Bourbon Smash
- 2 oz bourbon
- ½ lime cut in wedges (lemon wedge option)
- 6 mint leaves 3-4 basil leaves option
- 6-8 large blackberries muddled or ¼ cup frz blackberries
- ½ oz simple syrup or 2 teaspoons sugar or honey or maple syrup
- 1-2 oz club soda option- lime flavored water or sprite or ginger beer
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle mint leaves ,lime wedges, blackberries, simple syrup and bourbon.
- Add ice. Shake until chilled.
- Strain into a low ball glass filled with ice and top with club soda.
- Garnish with mint leaves, lime wedge, and a blackberry or two.
Leave a Reply