Garlic Chicken with Orzo is a quick and easy dinner, made all in one skillet, and ready in 30 minutes. Moist chicken is combined with garlic, onion, tomatoes, spinach and orzo to give you a well rounded meal with little cleanup. Believe me, this is one meal everyone will be asking for seconds.
Days are getting warmer here in South Florida (don’t hate me). I know, I know, there is snow in most other places, but this meal is not only a comfort food for that wintery weather but also a quick in and out of the kitchen for us already experiencing summer temps.
Today was one of those days I had planned to make my Stuffed Chicken with Guacamole but never got around to making it. So with limited time, I had to think of something else to do with all the thawed chicken breasts. While perusing the internet, I found this easy chicken skillet meal on the All Recipes site and adapted it to fit our type of meal. I wanted a meal that would not be too heavy on the carbs, give us our servings of vegetables, and add a little spicy kick to the dish.
I love the simplicity of the dish and, except for the orzo which can be made ahead of time, it only dirties one skillet. Hallelujah!
How to make Garlic Chicken with Orzo
Start with browning the onion, garlic and red pepper flakes then add the chicken, tomatoes and parsley. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Continue to simmer and add spinach until wilted then stir in cooked orzo and Parmesan cheese.
Done and done!
Just look at all that deliciousness in one bite!
More Easy Skillet Dinners
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive a free e-book.
Garlic Chicken with Orzo is a quick and easy dinner, made all in one skillet, and ready in 30 minutes. Moist chicken is combined with garlic, onion, tomatoes, spinach and orzo to give you a well rounded meal with little cleanup.
- 1 cup uncooked orzo
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped or 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated + additional for garnish
Cook orzo to al dente stage according to package directions. Drain and reserve. (Cook while preparing remainder of meal)
- Heat a large skillet with olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Saute onion for about 5 minutes or until soft & translucent.
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook another 1 minute.
- Season chicken with salt & pepper and sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- Add to skillet and cook about 5 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Reduce heat to medium and add tomatoes and parsley and cook 5 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook just until wilted, about 1 minute. Add orzo and cheese and cook until cheese is melted.
Add orzo and cheese and cook until cheese is melted (about 1 minute).
- Serve with additional Parmesan on the side.