This Pear Walnut Gorgonzola Salad is a light and healthy side dish that pairs well with any meal. It has only 4-ingredients and is perfect served with your favorite raspberry vinaigrette. Add cranberries or pomegranate arils for a festive holiday touch.
Pear Walnut Gorgonzola Salad
First off, I love pears! Who wouldn't love these sweet, juicy, and versatile fruits? I think they rank right behind apples with what you can make with them.
I love to carry them for lunches, have one as an afternoon snack or bake up in a crumble, upside-down cake, or tart.
Not too long ago I was served a Pear Salad at an Italian restaurant. I hadn't really thought of having pears any other way, other than as a delicious piece of fruit. But, let me tell you, that salad really changed my mind.
It was full of greens, tossed with fresh juicy pears, crunchy walnuts, and a touch of gorgonzola cheese. They served it with a very light raspberry vinaigrette but my light lemony vinaigrette works just as well.
This salad is a perfect example of how you can make a healthy side dish with pears. They are a wonderfully nutritious fruit, low in calories, and deliciously tasty. Just look at what pears and walnuts bring to this salad.
- Pears are packed with high levels of fiber, which can protect against colon cancer, as well as antioxidants and phytonutrients that contain strong anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer fighting properties. They are also low in calories and contain good quantities of Vitamin C, B-complex, copper, iron, potassium, manganese, and magnesium.
- Walnuts really up the nutrition and health level of this salad. Just ¼ cup provides 100% RDA of omega-3 fats which combat free radicals in the body, reduce the risk of prostate cancer, support heart and brain health, and have anti-inflammatory properties as well.
Make this Pear Walnut Gorgonzola Salad more seasonal by adding fresh cranberries.
Why not try this salad for the holidays with the addition of either cranberries or pomegranate arils. There's nothing like bright red and green to make the holiday table more festive.
For another salad with fruit and nuts try my salad with blueberries, strawberries, and almonds.
Find lots of healthy salad recipes here on 2CM!
Pear Walnut Gorgonzola Salad
- 1 lb Spring greens
- 2 pears cored & thinly sliced
- ½ cup walnuts or to your liking
- 4-6 oz. Gorgonzola cheese
- ½ cup dried cranberries optional
- Your favorite raspberry or lemon vinaigrette see recipe in notes below
- ¼ cup cranberries or pomegranate arils optional
- In a large bowl, mix all the above ingredients. Do not peel pears as you will lose ½ the fiber and 3-4X the phyto nutrients without the skin.
- Adding cranberries or pomegranate arils are optional but does make the salad look very festive for the holidays.
- Toss with your favorite vinaigrette.
This post has been updated and was first published on November 12, 2014.
DON'T MISS A RECIPE!