Light, refreshing Summer Shrimp Primavera is chock full of the freshest vegetables of the season, juicy low-fat shrimp and flavored with basil & a little lemon juice. Toss it over spaghetti squash instead of pasta and it becomes the perfect low carb summertime dinner.
Shrimp Primavera with Spaghetti Squash
Just the sound of Shrimp Primavera sounds healthy and delicious doesn’t it? It seemed to fit our #RecipeMakeover week perfectly but the idea was to change up a well-loved recipe to make it less calorie laden. So I did! I upped the health quotient by subbing spaghetti squash for the regular pasta. And does it ever work well together!
Delicious fresh tomatoes, basil and onions are paired with shrimp, asparagus and a little white wine to make a light, spectacular dish for summer enjoyment. It’s easy to make and delicious enough to serve for company too.
Once you start subbing spaghetti squash for all your comfort food winter recipes you’ll see how light, easy and tasty it is. I’ve done it with my Turkey Pasta Skillet and it is just as delicious. The trick is cooking the spaghetti squash just right. (Don’t worry, it’s easy!)
How to Cook Spaghetti Squash
Slice the spaghetti squash in half. Spread some olive oil & seasoning over the cut side and place, cut side down, on cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 40 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly then shred flesh with fork. Voila – instant spaghetti! See, I told you it was easy!
Easy Steps to Make Summer Shrimp Primavera
- The shrimp primavera part is even simpler. Just one large skillet, a little oil and less than 10 minutes cooking and it’s done.
- Top the spaghetti squash with the primavera mixture sprinkle with a little parmesan cheese and dig in.
It tastes rich but no guilt here – it’s all good for you! Enjoy this light primavera with spaghetti squash and other healthy recipes from my fellow food bloggers below that are all part of our #RecipeMakeover week.
More Low Carb Dinner Options
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive our free Awesome Appetizers e-book.
Light, refreshing Summer Shrimp Primavera is chock full of the freshest vegetables of the season, juicy low-fat shrimp and flavored with basil & a little lemon juice. Toss it over spaghetti squash instead of pasta and it becomes the perfect summertime dinner.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- Olive oil
- 1/4 large sweet onion chopped
- 2-4 cloves garlic minced (I love garlic so I go for 4 cloves)
- 1/2 lb. shrimp peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 1/2 lb. asparagus cleaned and cut into 1-2” long pieces
- 2 large tomatoes cut in eighths
- 1/4 cup white wine
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Handful basil chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese + extra for serving
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Garnish: Sprigs of basil, slices of lemon, extra Parmesan cheese
- Slice the spaghetti squash in half. Spread some olive oil & seasoning (salt & pepper) over the cut side and place, cut side down, on cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 40 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly then shred flesh with fork.
- Place a small amount of olive oil into a large skillet. Heat over medium-high heat.
- Sauté onions for 2-4 minutes adding garlic for the last minute.
- Toss in shrimp and asparagus and cook for 1-2 minutes per side depending on size of shrimp.
- Add tomatoes, white wine and squeeze of lemon juice and cook about 1 more minute just to warm tomatoes.
- Finish by adding basil, parmesan cheese and seasoning to taste. Stir. Serve over spaghetti squash. Garnish with a sprig of basil and a slice of lemon.