An easy Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore dinner that tastes as good as the original in less than half the time. All the delicious flavors of the Italian favorite you love – tomatoes, peppers, onion and spices, all simmered together in one pot! And that means easy cleanup and a delicious dinner in no time! Great for low carb, paleo and gluten-free diets.
Everyone loves easy dinners and, I don’t know about you, but I love easy clean up too. This recipe fulfills both of my requirements hands down. All I can say is, the Instant Pot is a miracle worker. I used to cook all the time with the old-fashioned kind of pressure cooker and, until I couldn’t find replacement parts, I used it all the time. It was a great way to prepare a quick dinner when working all day. Now, with the advent of these safer Instant Pot appliances, I can go back to cooking all my favorites from years ago.
In any event, quick & easy recipes like Bacon Mac & Cheese Skillet or Southwestern Chicken Casserole are my mainstay to get dinner on the table before bedtime. And now I can add this Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore to the list. It’s hassle-free, has beautiful array of fresh ingredients, and comes together super quick for my “not enough hours in a day” busy weeknights.
Easy steps to make Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore
- Turn Instant Pot to saute mode and add a little olive oil. Season chicken then brown in pot for about 6 minutes a side.
- Remove chicken and set aside. Add pepper and onions to pot with a little more oil if necessary and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Turn Instant Pot off.
- Place chicken back in pot and add drained tomatoes, reserving the liquid.
- Combine the tomato juice with wine, flour and spices then pour over chicken. That’s all the hands-on cooking you’ll need to do!
- Close and lock and set the pressure cooker to high pressure for 25 minutes. Prepare rice, riced cauliflower or pasta to serve with finished dish.
- All done!
What comes out is a moist chicken with plump tomatoes and onions in a gloriously tasty sauce. Your family will think you took hours preparing dinner but I won’t tell. It will be our secret. 🙂
This is definitely a winner-winner chicken dinner – delicious, quick and hardly any clean up! It’s great to serve over rice, my standard, but you can serve over pasta and use riced cauliflower, zucchini noodles or quinoa for low carb, gluten-free and paleo diets. Enjoy!
More Instant Pot Recipes
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive a free e-book.
INSTANT POT CHICKEN CACCIATORE
- 2 1/2 - 3 lbs whole cut-up fryer chicken or chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 green pepper diced
- 1 cup onions thinly sliced
- 28 oz can whole tomatoes, drained reserve liquid
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour cornstarch for gluten-free & arrowroot for paleo
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar omit for low carb & paleo diets
- Wash & pat dry chicken pieces then season with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Turn Instant Pot to saute and add 1-2 tablespoons of oil. Saute chicken pieces, in batches if necessary, for 6 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken from Instant Pot and set aside.
- If needed, add a little more olive oil to Instant Pot. Saute pepper and onion for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Turn off Instant Pot. Add chicken back in.
- Drain whole tomatoes, reserving juice. Place tomatoes around chicken and add bay leaf.
- Mix remaining tomato liquid with 1/4 cup flour and stir until well blended. Add remaining ingredients and stir until blended. Pour liquid over chicken.
- Close Instant Pot and set to high pressure and cook chicken for 25 minutes.
- Let pressure release naturally for 15 minutes then release manually to alleviate remaining pressure.
- Remove bay leaf and serve over rice, pasta, riced cauliflower, zucchini noodles or quinoa.