Quinoa and Butternut Squash Pilaf is lightly flavored with garlic & Parmesan, and is an easy side dish or a healthy, hearty meatless meal come fall. The perfect healthy dinner for those busy weeknights.
I admire my daughter so much for turning her life around to become a healthy, fit and inspirational person. She has undoubtedly influenced my choices in trying to eat healthier and, since I learned to cook at such a young age, I am working to adapt favorite recipes by substituting in healthier ingredients.
Today’s recipe is a great example. I used to eat this butternut squash combined with risotto but have really gotten to like quinoa. I love all the benefits it provides for those wanting to live a healthier lifestyle.
Quinoa has many beneficial properties
Quinoa is a healthy, protein-rich whole grain and can be used in so many ways. It works well for a more nutritious packed breakfast waffle, in salads, as a meatless main meal or a healthy side dish. It’s naturally gluten-free and is high in anti-inflammatory phytonutriens and heart-healthy fats too!
Hope you enjoy it as much as my family did. And by the way, it is a great meatless meal for Monday nights. It’s also vegetarian if you sub out the chicken stock for vegetable stock.
Quinoa and Butternut Squash Pilaf, flavored with garlic & Parmesan, is an easy side dish or a healthy, hearty meatless meal. Perfect for busy weeknights.
- 1 butternut squash
- 4 Tablespoons light olive oil divided
- salt & pepper to taste
- 6-8 cloves garlic peeled and sliced
- 1/4 large sweet onion chopped
- 1 cup raw quinoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock (vegetable can also be used for vegetarian diets)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup peas cooked
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup Pecorino-Romano cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with a non-stick spray.
Prepare the butternut squash. Peel and remove seeds then cut into chunks and place in bowl.
- Coat with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt & pepper. Toss in garlic cloves and dump on to prepared baking sheet.
- Roast in oven for 25-30 minutes or until tender.
- While squash is roasting, heat a large saucepan with 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the quinoa, salt, chicken or vegetable stock and wine to saucepan, cover, lower heat, and simmer for approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Cook peas while quinoa is cooking or just use peas from a can.
- When squash is done, pour into large serving bowl and add cooked quinoa and peas. Toss together with butter and cheese and serve immediately.
Find great deals on Nature’s Earthly Choice Premium Organic 100% Whole Grain Quinoa on Amazon.com.
DON’T MISS A RECIPE!