Here's a healthy way to get your thin mint cookie fix. When I received complimentary samples of Barlean's products and Imperial Sugar for my participation in Choctoberfest I knew I just had to make a healthy dessert. These Avocado Brownie Bites are packed with healthy oils and super food greens for a treat that is good for you!. As always, all opinions expressed in this post are my own. Enjoy!
I can't think of anything better than chocolate, can you? I think if I had to pick the one thing that I couldn't live without, it would have to be chocolate. So I think you can gather by all this that being part of #Choctoberfest with Imperial Sugar has been both deliciously yummy and fun! Not only that, there is a terrific giveaway going on to win some for yourself. Giveaway has expired.
Barlean's is one of our awesome sponsors for Choctoberfest and I received some absolutely delicious and healthy products from them. I honestly had never heard of them before this but, after working with their products, I was blown away by the quality and taste of their products! I will definitely be purchasing them often in the future.
Barlean's is a company that produces dietary supplements that are all organic and non-GMO. Barlean's is actually a farm, fishery and organic seed mill that feels strongly about providing the freshest and highest quality pressed-on-demand oils for their customers.
If you haven't looked into oil and super food supplements before, I bet you are wondering why you need these in your diet. Let me start by telling you what a deficiency in the levels of essential oils or Omega-3 fatty acids in the body can lead to - cardiovascular disease, eye problems, ADD & hyperactivity, arthritis, diabetes and lupus, skin problems and even some cancers. As to super food supplements, these concentrated powders, supplying the body with important nutrients and antioxidants, help support a healthy digestive system, increase mental acuity, energy levels and a stronger immunity system. I'd say that's reason enough to include these supplements in your diet or, at the very least, enjoy them in this recipe.
I had a hard time deciding what to make as smoothies and puddings came to mind first. Then I decided to bake these rich, deliciously moist, little avocado brownie bites for two reasons. One, I had just taken some Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies out of the freezer and thought, with Barlean's Chocolate Mint Swirl Oil, I could copy one of my favorite tastes by making a chocolate mint cheesecake filling. Second, the Barlean's products are so healthy that I thought I would pair it with a healthier-type brownie by using avocados. And they were awesome!
Now, I bet you are wondering if anyone noticed that they were made with healthy oils and fruit & veggie enriched powder? Nope! In fact, when my husband brought some into work, he let them taste them without telling them what was in them, and their take - delicious devil's food cake! And they were gone in about 10 minutes. Wow! I think that is a great endorsement!
Please let me know if you try them out. And definitely give Barlean's products a try, your health will thank you for it. More recipes using Barlean's coming soon!
THIN MINT AVOCADO BROWNIE BITES
- ¾ cup flour
- ¼ cup Barlean's Chocolate Silk Greens Powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup vegetable or safflower oil
- ¾ cup Imperial sugar
- 8 oz dark chocolate melted
Mint Cheesecake Filling
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 Tablespoons Imperial sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Barlean's Omega Swirl Chocolate Mint Oil
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 Tablespoon flour, as needed to thicken
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 24-cup mini muffin pan with a non-stick spray.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, Barlean's Greens powder, baking powder and salt.
- In an electric mixer, cream avocado until smooth.
- Slowly add in the eggs and vanilla until well mixed.
- Add oil and sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in chocolate then all dry ingredients until just mixed. Set aside.
Mint Cheesecake Filling
- In your KitchenAid electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Add egg, oil and peppermint extract. If batter looks too thin add up to 2 tablespoons of flour. (I did add it to mine)
- Using a small cookie scoop, drop about 1 tablespoon of brownie batter into the bottom of each mini-muffin cup.
- Drop another tablespoon of cheesecake batter on top of brownie batter then follow that with another scoop of brownie batter. They will fill the little mini-muffin cups to the top.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of one comes out clean.
- Let cool in muffin pans on wire rack for 10 minutes then dump onto wire rack, turn upright, and let cool the rest of the way.