Think of our Turtle Cheesecake Cookies as a cookie version of those beloved chocolate turtle candies. These soft cream cheese cookies are filled with caramel and pecans and drizzled with chocolate just like the original. They are the perfect addition to any holiday cookie tray. But watch out, they go fast!
In October, I decided to sign up for the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap which benefits COOKIES FOR KIDS’ CANCER, a national non-profit organization committed to funding new therapies used in the fight against pediatric cancer, which claims the lives of more children in the US than any other disease. And a big thank you goes out to the fantastic sponsors that matched our donations- OXO, Dixie Crystals, California Olive Ranch and Sheila G’s Brownie Brittle.
The GREAT FOOD BLOGGER COOKIE SWAP brings together food bloggers from all over the world to celebrate holiday goodies and donate to an important cause. We had to bake 3 dozen cookies and send 1 dozen to 3 different bloggers. In turn, we would receive 3 dozen from other bloggers. And I will tell you, every one of the cookies I received were out of this world! See for yourself and be sure to check out their super delicious blogs too! Thanks again to Heather, Meseidy and Wendy for the super treats!
Now you are probably wondering what cookies I sent to my bloggers. Well, I had plenty of favorites but it couldn’t be one that I had posted before so it was time to come up with something delicious and new. I had been wanting to try the new filled chocolate chips called DelightFulls by Nestle Toll House so that seemed like as good a place to start as any.
Umm, I know – Turtle Cookies! Don’t you just love those chocolaty turtle candies filled with caramel and pecans and covered with chocolate? I do, just don’t put the whole box in front of me please, they are so hard to resist! Now, how to make it into a cookie instead of a candy – I know, my second love, cheesecake! Make a nice vanilla flavored cookie dough but replace some of the butter with cream cheese and then, to get that stretchy caramel, drizzle the tops of the cookie with extra caramel and, of course, more chocolate.
The consensus from my recipients was delicioso! Yay! And my husband’s co-workers gave them a high five and thumbs up too! Hope they make your holiday season sweeter!
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup Kraft Philadelphia cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals light brown sugar, packed tightly
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Nestle Toll House DelightFulls - caramel filled chocolate morsels
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 6 squares dark chocolate, broken up
- 6- oz caramels
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray cookie sheets with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, cream cheese and sugars until creamy. Continue beating while you add egg yolks and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture beating until well mixed.
- Stir in DelightFulls and pecans.
- Shape into balls or drop by rounded tablespoon, placing 2" apart, on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Once cool, place wax paper under wire racks, then drizzle cookies with melted chocolate and caramel sauce.
- To melt chocolate, place in microwave safe measuring cup and melt in microwave on high in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until all chocolate is melted. This usually takes about 1-1/2 minutes. Using a fork, drizzle over cookies.
- To melt caramels, place caramels and heavy whipping cream in microwave safe measuring cup or bowl. Melt in microwave on high in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until smooth. Usually takes about 1-1/2 to 2 minutes. Using a fork, drizzle over cookies in opposite pattern than chocolate drizzle.
- Let set then store in covered tins.
Here are the links for the fantastic Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap. There turned out to be almost 500 recipes submitted and can’t wait to check them all out myself!
Love & Olive Oil – Recipe Roundup 1
The Little Kitchen – Recipe Roundup 2
More Christmas Cookie goodness coming your way every day! Miss one? Check them out below.
On the 12th day of Christmas this Cookin” Mama sent to you… 12 Nutella Palmiers, 11 Forget Them Cookies, 10 Sure Bet Macaroons, 9 Almond Bar Cookies, 8 Pecan Sandies, 7 NuttZo Nut Butter Cookies, 6 Turtle Cheesecake Cookies, 5 Key Lime Truffles, 4 Vanilla Almond K Cookies, 3 Cookies and Cream Cookies, 2 Creme Brulee Cookies and a Chocolate Peppermint Drop …fa, la, la, la, la