Celebrate summer with these Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies. Zesty cookies that pop with lemon flavor. Soft & chewy inside with a sugary crunch outside.
This month’s theme is Mother’s Day cookies, celebrating our wonderful Moms and letting them know how much we appreciate them by making them a special treat. And what could be more special than using one of her favorite flavors. In my case, lemons! My Mom used to make the best desserts out of lemons like Lemon Meringue Pie, Lemon Pudding, Lemon Pound Cake, well the list goes on & on but you get the gist. So in her honor I decided to make a cookie that just pops with lemon flavor – lemon poppy seed cookies.
After perusing the internet for a good recipe, I chose a Martha Stewart recipe as that seemed to make the most use of fresh lemons and had the added punch of lemon zest on top. I know if you love lemon like my Mom and I do that you will love these cookies. They taste like sunshine in cookie form!
They are easy to make too. Just zest a few lemons, squeeze them for their delicious juice then make a little lemon butter. (which, by the way, is great on seafood dishes too). Cream the lemon butter with sugar, add a few more ingredients, sprinkle in the poppy seeds and you’re ready to roll. Scoop them into a ball then roll in lemon zested sugar, press down with a glass and bake away. They turn out soft & chewy with a nice crunch on the outside from the sugar. (brb – I’ve got to go sneak another cookie it sounded so good!) 🙂
Don’t know what to make for Mother’s Day for a special treat? Check out all the goodies from our fellow bloggers below, I know you’ll find something you like. In fact, you will probably be saying to yourself – which one should I make, I like them all!
Mother’s Day is coming! And what better cookies to make than those either in honor of or for our mothers?
You can also use us as a great resource for cookie recipes. Be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them here at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
- Classic Spritz Cookies from All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
- Chocolate Chip Cookies (Baked) from Baking in Pyjamas
- White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies from 2 Cookin’ Mamas
- Crystallized Ginger Cookies from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Candied Flower Shortbread Cookies from Live… Bake… Love…
- Oats and Nuts Cookies from Basic N Delicious
- Coconut cookies from Flours and frostings
- Brown Sugar Maple Oatmeal Cookies with Dried Cherries from The Spiced Life
- Mint Chip Chocolate Cookies from A Baker’s House
- Almond Crescents from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Rhubarb Sauce Cookies from Food Lust People Love