Churro Banana Bread is everyone’s favorite combination of banana bread and churros rolled into one delicious bread. A moist banana bread, with a cinnamon-spiced crumb swirled through the middle, is baked then rolled in cinnamon sugar to bring the flavor of churros right to the breakfast table.
Cinnamon Banana Bread
Have you ever had churros at a state fair, convention or even Disney? Hey, even Costco has them! If you have, you’ll know just how addictive they are!
Do you know where they came from? Some say they were first made by Spanish shepherds while up in the mountains watching their flocks. It was a simple dough to make and easy to fry on their open fires. Theirs were only sprinkled with sugar but, when it arrived in the U.S., the bakers here began coating them with cinnamon sugar. Double yum!
Churro – a fried doughnut sprinkled with cinnamon sugar
Just thinking of those long sweet slightly crunchy doughnuts with tons of lick your fingers cinnamon sugar on the outside is making me want one! And they are definitely a kids and big kids favorite. I can even remember (way back when) my Mom & Dad buying one for my sister and I as a special treat.
So today it’s churro time mixed with banana season! And you know that I always have bananas in our house! Whether they come from our trees or the store there is always a large pile of them sitting on the counter ready to grab for a healthy snack. Sometimes those stacks get a little over ripe and I know it’s time for some banana goodies. I’m addicted to my Double Chocolate Banana Bread and Tropical Banana Bread but I can never get enough of my Baked Banana Doughnuts either. So I guess it’s a good thing I have plenty on hand.
Today it was time for my version of Banana Bread a la Churro. Now, I have to honestly say this is probably only slightly better for you than the fried dough but still sweet and finger-licking good. And you’ve got to take note of one of my favorite childhood memories, my cinnamon-sugar girl shaker. She’s been with me since I was a little girl and it was a favorite of my daughter too. It brings back such sweet warm memories. Anyone else have a favorite shaker they remember?
How to make Churro Banana Bread
- Combine shortening and sugar.
- Cream mixture with fork – no mixer needed!
- Add eggs and blend.
- Whisk in vanilla extract.
- Mash bananas with fork.
- Add into creamed mixture.
- Add dry ingredients.
- Stir well.
This cinnamon crumb swirl is optional. If you don’t want to add this, just add 1 teaspoon cinnamon to banana bread batter and skip the next 5 steps. The next step would be to pour the banana bread batter into the prepared loaf pan and then follow from step 14.
- In a medium bowl, gather ingredients for cinnamon crumb mixture. Make sure butter is very cold.
- Crumb with a pastry blender or fork. I like to use my hands at the end to really mix in the butter.
- Pour half of banana bread batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Scatter cinnamon crumbs over batter.
- Pour remainder of batter on top of crumbs.
- Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean. It’s also wise to check on it after 30 minutes to see whether it is getting too brown. If so, tent with foil, if not, check again every 10 minutes or so.
- To finish: Once banana bread is cool, melt butter and mix cinnamon and sugar on a large flat surface.
- Brush every side of banana bread with butter.
- Roll churro banana bread in cinnamon sugar mixture making sure to coat all sides. Tada! One Churro Banana Bread!
Just look at that gorgeous cinnamon swirl inside and all that tasty sweetness outside. Believe me, if you love banana bread, you can’t pass up trying this version too! Enjoy!
More Ways to Enjoy Bananas
Peanut Butter Banana Bread from 2 Cookin Mamas
Banana Nut Muffins from 2 Cookin Mamas
Banana Nut Granola from 2 Cookin Mamas
Peanut Butter Banana Overnight Oats from Pastry & Beyond
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive a free e-book.
Love banana bread? Love churros? Why not combine everything you love about both all in one deliciously easy Churro Banana Bread. Moist banana bread is rolled in cinnamon sugar to bring the favorite flavor of churros to your breakfast table.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon optional (if not using Cinnamon Sugar Swirl)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 Tablespoons very cold butter diced
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease & flour loaf pan.
Crumb sugar and shortening together in a large bowl.
Add eggs and mix well. Stir in vanilla extract.
Mash bananas and add to creamed mixture.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. (Add 1 teaspoon cinnamon here if not using Cinnamon Sugar Swirl that follows.)
Whisk into banana mixture til blended.
Combine all ingredients for cinnamon swirl and mix with pastry cutter or fork until it resembles small crumbs.
Pour half of banana bread batter into prepared loaf pan.
Sprinkle cinnamon sugar swirl crumbs on top of batter.
Pour remaining batter over crumbs.
Bake for 60-70 minutes. Check after 30 minutes to make sure top is not getting overly brown. If so, cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Test for doneness by inserting toothpick in center of bread. It is done if it comes out clean. Remove from oven to wire rack to cool for 15 minutes. Remove from loaf pan and finish cooling on rack.
- Mix 1/4 cup sugar with 1 tablespoon cinnamon on flat cutting board or plate.
Brush butter on all sides of cooled bread.
Roll bread in cinnamon-sugar mixture until lightly coated.
- Store in a sealed ziploc bag or wrap tightly in foil.
Can be wrapped in foil and frozen for later use.
Recipe and photos have been updated for your enjoyment. Original post was published on April 22, 2015.