So, I'm starting out this year eating more seafood. Salmon is always a healthy choice and my Grilled Cajun Salmon and Grilled Salmon with Red Pepper Sauce are always on the menu. But my favorite has got to be sea scallops. I don't get them very often but, when I do, I love to have them wrapped in bacon. And this Bacon Wrapped Scallops recipe is not only delicious but easy to make too. Serve it over a brown rice and quinoa mix, along with a side salad and you are well on your way to a new you!
- ¾ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 12 large sea scallops
- 12 slices smoked bacon or turkey bacon
- 12 toothpicks
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- Mix the maple syrup, soy sauce, and minced garlic together and place in large Ziploc bag.
- Add the scallops, tossing to coat, then seal bag and place in refrigerator to marinate for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Arrange bacon on a parchment-lined cookie sheet making sure they do not overlap.
- Bake in preheated oven until just starting to crisp around the edges, the bacon should still be very soft and pliable, about 12 minutes.
- Remove bacon from baking sheet and set on paper towel to soak up excess grease.
- Remove parchment paper from cookie sheet and spray sheet lightly with nonstick spray
- Wrap each scallop with a piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick. Place on baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the scallops with a little brown sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven until the scallops are opaque and the bacon is crisp, 10 to 15 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking time.
Wine Pairing: The best wines will offer a light and zesty flavor along with a nice acidity that works best with these sweet and smoky scallops. Choose either a Riesling, Vouvray or a Champagne. You may also pair with a medium bodied white such as a Pinot Grigio or a Sauvignon Blanc.