Muffins just got easier than ever! Easy pancake muffins are a pancake lover's dream. They're light and fluffy with endless amounts of flavor possibilities.
When there's no time to fix pancakes these one-bowl muffins are a great grab & go alternative. Yummy pancake flavor with the added sweetness of maple syrup will have you grabbing one for breakfast every day.
FYI - This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. All links are products I use when making my recipes.
Table of Contents
- Easy Muffins for On-The-Go Breakfast
- Why You'll Love This Pancake Muffin Recipe
- Equipment Needed
- How to Make Pancake Mix Muffins
- Recipe Tips
- Recipe Variations
- Pancake Muffins From Scratch
- Mini Pancake Muffins
- What to Serve with Pancake Muffins
- Make Ahead
- How to Store, Freeze, and Reheat
- More Easy Breakfast Recipes
Easy Muffins for On-The-Go Breakfast
The best thing about muffins for breakfast is how portable they are. You can grab a few of them as you head out the door. These muffins taste so good that you won't be tempted to grab something from the coffee shop. They have a lovely crumb and melt in your mouth.
I thought it would be great to have another quick on-the-go breakfast besides my Egg Breakfast Bowl and Crunchy Granola Cookies. So I whipped up a super easy pancake in muffin form - what could be better?
Why You'll Love This Pancake Muffin Recipe
Pancake mix muffins are another fantastic way to make your favorite muffins. Adding maple syrup to the mix keeps them wonderfully sweet and incredibly moist. As you bite into them, the subtly sweet aroma will fill your senses. They taste delicious by themselves or with some bacon, eggs, or even your favorite coffee.
- 12-Cup Muffin Pan
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring Cups & Spoons
Pancake Mix - Krusteaz Buttermilk is one of my favorites
Milk - or sub in your favorite non-dairy milk such as almond or cashew
Egg - enriches the muffins with protein and helps provide texture
Pure Maple Syrup - adds sweetness to the mix
Pure Vanilla Extract - enhances all the flavors
Add-ins - such as mini chocolate chips, chopped strawberries, blueberries or nuts. See more ideas below.
How to Make Pancake Mix Muffins
Just look at how easy these pancake muffins with your favorite add-ins are to make!
- Place pancake mix in a large bowl and pour in the milk. (use the amount of milk called for on the pancake mix package)
- Add egg and pour in the maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Whisk together.
- Pour into muffin pan. The muffin cups will be about half full.
- Sprinkle in your favorite add-ins such as blueberries, strawberries, and chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
Serve for breakfast with a drizzle of maple syrup and some fresh fruit. Enjoy!
- Instead of spraying the muffin tin with non-stick spray you can use cupcake liners.
- Don't overmix the batter. Stir it until just combined and it's okay to have some small lumps.
Don't want muffins with chocolate chips? It's easy to make these sweet muffins with fruit or make them savory with meat. Here are some tasty substitutions:
- Finely chopped apple
- Chopped banana
- Fresh blueberries
- Funfetti or other sprinkles (great for a birthday breakfast!)
- Peanut butter chips
- Cooked and chopped bacon
- Cooked and crumbled sausage
- Flavorings - Substitute vanilla with lemon or almond extract. If using almond extract, only use ¼ teaspoon (it's much stronger than vanilla or lemon).
Pancake Muffins From Scratch
You can use any pancake batter to make these muffins. Homemade and from-scratch will work just as well as batter prepared from a mix. For homemade, try the base batter from my lemon blueberry pancakes.
Mini Pancake Muffins
To make mini pancake muffins, use a mini muffin pan and reduce the baking time by 5 minutes (bake for 10 minutes instead of 15 or until done).
What to Serve with Pancake Muffins
I like to serve them as is with a little fruit but they are also great dipped in a little extra maple syrup. Here are some other ideas:
- Fruit Puree
- Jelly, Jam, or Preserves
- Melted Peanut Butter or other nut butter
You can prepare the pancake batter a day in advance. Keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
How to Store, Freeze, and Reheat
To Store: Cool the muffins completely. Place them in an airtight container and keep them in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
To Freeze: Place them on a baking sheet. Once frozen, transfer to an airtight container or plastic freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
To Reheat: You can reheat the muffins in the microwave on HIGH in 15-second increments or in the oven at 350°F for about 10 minutes or until warm.
Easy Pancake Muffins
- 2 cups pancake mix
- 1 cup milk (or amount that is called for on the pancake box) (dairy-free milk can also be used)
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips or your favorite add-ins like strawberries, blueberries or nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix well.
- Divide batter equally into 12 muffins.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve as is, sprinkle with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar, or with a side of maple syrup.
This post has been updated and was first published on February 2, 2017.